PDA

View Full Version : Sulawesi Shrimp

plantedlab
03-04-2011, 03:08 AM
I have been reading up on the new shrimp found in the sulawesi swamps of indonesia. They sound really interesting, and I think the water parameters of the region is a good match for our well. Does anyone have experience with them? Are there any good online sellers that carry them in the USA?

plantedlab
03-04-2011, 03:09 AM
I am particularly interested in the Cardinal shrimp, and the Harlequin shrimp.

KingFisher
03-04-2011, 03:12 AM
You can try sending a PM to Jacko, he has been keeping them for a while now.

toddnbecka
03-04-2011, 05:57 AM
They turn up occaisonally on aquabid, but they're very pricey little critters. Tank-raised are a better bet than imported wild-caught stock, less stress from shipping and different water conditions along the way.

Demjor19
03-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I keep Crystal Reds and RCS. The Crystal Reds have proven to be difficult to breed (at least I haven't had any luck with them). Cardinal shrimp have been on my list of shrimp to keep for a while, but I haven't gotten around to picking any up.

Jacko
03-12-2011, 03:46 AM
KF sent me... :22: I've had Cardinals, blue leg posos and red orchids. I'm on a waiting list for some harlequins from a breeder, since I want tank raised for a couple generations and they're hard to find and crazy expensive.

I'd definitely suggest cardinals over harliquins, they're easier but that's not saying much. Food, alot of places suggest a vegetable based diet but I found mine grew faster and seemed to survive and thrive better when given frozen bloodworms twice a week.

The only breeder I know of that sells tank raised on aquabid is phongts, most other sellers that have them pop up occasionally there are just selling ones they imported. There are a couple people breeding and selling them on plantedtank.net, that's probably your best bet to find healthy ones.

Research is your best friend on these, I spent over 4 months researching and reading every new thing about these guys before I was willing to give it a shot. Planetinverts and shrimpnow are good places to start with research.

William
03-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Jacko any chance of pics for AC articles on them?

plantedlab
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info Jacko!

I picked up some Crystal Red Shrimp from the LFS the other day. They are not the high grade sss or anything, but I couldn't resist, they were just too cute.

Actually I like the look of them better when they have some clear stripes mixed in with the white and red. Anyhow, this is my first venture beyond Cherry shrimp, so I think I am going to focus on them for now, and keep doing my homework.

Have them in a 29 gallon planted tank with no other species, and If I can get them to colonize and thrive, I will feel alot better about persuing the Cardinals.

Sorry I don't have pics, but I don't have a cool camera with a macro lense anymore, and it is just too depressing to photograph shrimp without one. I will get some basic tank shots and info up soon so that everyone can share in the progress.