PDA

View Full Version : foaming crab...

kiokit
03-03-2011, 10:04 PM
My red clawed crab was foaming all last night, it had crawled out of the water and and just started foaming for awhile. After it finished it stretched its legs out and was really stiff.

I had went to bed. And today when I went to check them out. And its laying on its back not moving. It just killed over. Anyone know the reason?

KatzeSlaugen
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
kindof sounds like rabies!

honestly though, dont have an idea. maybe the water was toxic, and he was escaping whatever was in the water (ammonia, nitrites, high nitrates, chemical compounds). he may have been foaming from a bad reaction/trying to breath/trying to purge the bad stuff from his system?

im probably wrong but thats just my thought on the situation...im probably wrong though haha

johndoe222
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
It sounds like your tank OS inadequately heated. What temp do you have?.

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I know nothing about craps but could it have been air escaping from under the shell?

kiokit
03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Ahh shoot, its my fault then. I didnt know the water was suppose to be heated. I look on a website and it said that they do good in all water temps. One is still alive, I still have a chance!

Rue
03-04-2011, 12:51 AM
I know nothing about craps but could it have been air escaping from under the shell?

...have you been playing cards again? :hmm3grin2orange:

:14:

I'm also guessing it was poisoned somehow...

johndoe222
03-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Crabs need 75*-80* water temps or they'll go into a hibernative state and slowly die. That sounds exactly like what yours did.

Lady Hobbs
03-04-2011, 02:19 AM
...have you been playing cards again? :hmm3grin2orange:

:14:

I'm also guessing it was poisoned somehow...

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: And I guess I know nothing about that either!!!!!!

mermaidwannabe
03-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Could there be copper in your tank, or other heavy metals?

You can get an API test kit for copper, and maybe a tester for iron, but there's really no inexpensive way to test for other heavy metals.

You do use dechlorinator whenever you change water, right?

From what I've read here, though, it's probably a safe bet the your water is too cold. Still, why would that cause the crab to foam?

I would raise the temperature (gradually, so as not to shock them), then test for copper and iron, at least. Can't hurt. Even if none is in there, it will eliminate those as possible causes of problems.

-- mermaidwannabe

kiokit
03-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you everyone, for the information. I shall do these things and hope my crab stays healthy and happy.