PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading shrimp tank (already!)

dragoonwoman
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I just got my RCS last week, and I'll be upgrading the tank this weekend to a 5g. The 2.5g is just too small, even for the shrimp.

My question is this: What's the best way to move the shrimp from one tank to the other? I have a baster I can use, but I'd be afraid of crushing/mangling the shrimp in the process.

I also thought of siphoning them from one to the other tank, by running the siphon slowly instead of "water change" speed.

In your experience, what's the best way to relocate shrimp? Thanks for the advice, anyone.

Brhino
03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't even know how many shrimp I moved from my 29g into my 75g... somewhere between one and two hundred. It was a pain in the butt! In the end, what worked best for me was to drain the water down to about an inch, and then just start netting them out in bunches. I even ended up putting the mostly-empty 29g on the floor and propping up one end so what little water was left would all be in one corner, and I could scoop from there.

Since you're dealing with a very small tank you have more options. Why not just remove everything from the 2.5g except the water and the shrimp, and then just dump the shrimp and the water straight into the 5g?

dragoonwoman
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Brhino.

I had thought of partially filling the 5, then lowering the 2.5 into it and letting the shrimp swim out, but pouring them from one tank to the other certainly would work. My only concern is how much the substrate (sand) will kick up and cloud the 5g. I knew I'd have to go slowly with this, no matter HOW I did it.

Netting worries me, because shrimp can jump and I don't want to lose any of the few I have. My RCS population is only 15 or so. I lost a ghost shrimp that way - lifting the net from the acclimation bucket to the tank, I went from 6 to 5 and never saw the ghost "abandon ship." Never found it on the floor either.

I think I'll try a combination of both techniques: remove most of the water, net the ones I can and pour in the rest.

Thanks for the tip. :22:

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Been wondering the same thing since I've been thinking of changing substrate but I have already decided I will siphon them.

Brhino
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I tried siphoning with mine, but my experience was that for the most part they're quick enough to avoid the siphon house when it starts coming for them. I got one or two that way, but spent a lot of time chasing fruitlessly.

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I know but I can't lift a 29 planted tank to pour anything. I need to remove everything, replace the substrate and replant so that means tossing them into a pail for now. I know netting will be fruitless with shrimp jumping at me in every direction. LOL

Goes to 11!
03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Just a cheap quick 5 minute idea here:

Take a clean 2L bottle and cut the top off of it about an inch or so below where it curves to make the neck.
[You may need to shorten the bottom section of the bottle or use a different size bottle depending on what fits in your tank]

Place something the shrimp like to munch on in the bottom section and then invert the top section and place it inside the bottom.

Put it in your tank and the shrimp will head for the free meal. You could do this overnight or just wait.

Either way, Many of the shrimp will find their way into the bottle which you can then easily transport to another tank.

Repeat as required.

This will work as a fish trap also for smaller species if need be btw.