PDA

View Full Version : Native Biotope?

kingkarter
03-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Im think of makeing my 10g tank in to a native biotope with plants and fish that are native to michigan. I want to stock it with Rainbow Darters (Etheostoma caeruleum) but idk if a 10g is big enough for them? If not what could i keep in a 10g thats native to michigan?

KatzeSlaugen
03-03-2011, 03:19 AM
i dont really know what you could keep in a 10gal thats native to michigan, but i do know i personally wouldnt keep darters in a 10g. too small IMO

BrandonBCA
03-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Depending on filtration, some madtom species would be ok in a 10g. I think the tadpole madtom is native to MI, but not 100% sure on that.

kingkarter
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
There are some madtoms but there pretty hard to find.

UncleWillie
03-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Eh, you could do rainbows if you really wanted to in a ten gallon. Although, they tend to like fast, clear streams. But if you are going planted aquarium, I'd would steer you more towards killies and madtoms, rather than the rainbows. If you are planning on collecting local plants, you will have very little trouble finding tadpole madtoms and banded killifish - both common throughout their range. A dipnet and some fast sweeping through dense vegetation and leaf litter should get you some madtoms. Now, both madtoms and the banded can get around 4'', but they are relatively slow growers considering their lifespan. So just consider this when stocking your tank.

kingkarter
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Eh, you could do rainbows if you really wanted to in a ten gallon. Although, they tend to like fast, clear streams. But if you are going planted aquarium, I'd would steer you more towards killies and madtoms, rather than the rainbows. If you are planning on collecting local plants, you will have very little trouble finding tadpole madtoms and banded killifish - both common throughout their range. A dipnet and some fast sweeping through dense vegetation and leaf litter should get you some madtoms. Now, both madtoms and the banded can get around 4'', but they are relatively slow growers considering their lifespan. So just consider this when stocking your tank.

Ok thanks. Would madtoms have a high bioload?

UncleWillie
03-07-2011, 02:51 AM
They will not have a high bioload since they are so small, and you should only keep one in a 10 gallon. I wouldn't do madtoms AND rainbows b/c of the small footprint size of the tank, and the darters might become dinner. A ten gallon is hard to work with.