PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring Floating Plant to Submerged Heater Cord?

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Is it safe to tie a floating plant (like Hornwort) to my submerged heater's power cord that rises out of the water?

The actual heating unit itself is way below the water line, and the plants wouldn't be touching the heater at all.

Other than that, what is an easy and not obvious way to attach plants to the top of the aquarium. I have a lot of empty space in my back-top corners and I want to fill them in with a floating plant.

Goes to 11!
03-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Is it safe to tie a floating plant (like Hornwort) to my submerged heater's power cord that rises out of the water?

The actual heating unit itself is way below the water line, and the plants wouldn't be touching the heater at all.

Other than that, what is an easy and not obvious way to attach plants to the top of the aquarium. I have a lot of empty space in my back-top corners and I want to fill them in with a floating plant.

Suction cup.

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Are regular plastic suction cups (washed of course) aquarium safe?

Goes to 11!
03-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Are regular plastic suction cups (washed of course) aquarium safe?
I'd certainly imagine so but look on the packaging or buy some from the LFS

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 02:07 AM
What would I look for on packaging?

I don't think hardware store packages of suction cups are going to mention if they're aquarium safe or not. As far as I know (or at least remember), my LFS doesn't sell suction cups either. They only really carry natural decorations (rocks and driftwood), livestock and plants.

I'm heading there tommorow (need declorinator and to see if they got a new shipment of plants) so I'll browse around and see what I can find.

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Tie them with fishing line to corks.

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 02:26 AM
won't the corks float around?

I don't want them being pushed down into the water by my filter. I have a slight current at the surface, and I don't want the plants moving all over the place.

Goes to 11!
03-03-2011, 04:31 AM
What would I look for on packaging?

I don't think hardware store packages of suction cups are going to mention if they're aquarium safe or not. As far as I know (or at least remember), my LFS doesn't sell suction cups either. They only really carry natural decorations (rocks and driftwood), livestock and plants.

I'm heading there tommorow (need declorinator and to see if they got a new shipment of plants) so I'll browse around and see what I can find.
Two words I am certain you are familiar with: 'Non-toxic'

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
So maybe baby suction cups?

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 06:46 PM
The Pet Store and Craft Store had the same brand of suction cups. I went with the Craft Store since they were cheaper.

Also picked up anacharis and something called a banana plant. The anacharis is what is currently attached to the suction cup. The banana plant is really odd looking, but I stuck it in a decently bright part of the aquarium on top of some driftwood, so let's see what takes off.

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
won't the corks float around?

Oops. I assumed since you got floating plants you wanted them to float but I also didn't want mine beat up by the filter so
suctioned them to one side of the tank with suction cups. I actually pulled the little clip from the suction cups and added a screw hook in it.

Rubber suction cups work better than plastic.

nmb7895
03-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I actually think it's rubber, I just call it plastic.

Do floating plants have to be completely submerged, or can they be raised slightly out of the water?