PDA

View Full Version : Hardness is at 20

salman
07-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I just tested my water hardness and it reads 20. This way over the average hardness for Discus. How do i lower the hardness? I use tap water, will it lower if i change like 50-60% of the water to RO water?

salman
07-11-2007, 12:27 AM
I just tested the RO water hardness, it says its 6. How much % of the water should i change? Should i do like 25% each day or should i do like a major change like 70%?

Algenco
07-11-2007, 01:02 AM
I think I would do 20% daily, wouldn't want to shock them. Eventually you would probably want to use 50/50 tap/RO.Or add RO rite or similar product.

RobbieG
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
I would change a little bit at a time maybe 10 - 20 percent every couple of days that should be enough to bring the hardness down in a reasonable amount of time without stressing the fish.

salman
07-11-2007, 02:22 AM
How low should i bring it down to?

I changed about 30% of the water and now its at 14-15.

salman
07-11-2007, 02:30 AM
I also have a thread about this same topic on the general forum. They also said that i could have 50% tap and 50% RO.. But they are not sure if the fish will get all the minerals they need from the tap water. Is there anyone who knows a little something about this?

nanaglen2001
07-11-2007, 04:59 AM
I dont know how to lower the hardness, but keep a very close eye on your PH.

What can happen while you lower the hardness is, the PH can drop from 7 point ???? to much less than 6 or even 5 within minutes, and this will kill or at least harm your fish a lot.

Its ok when the PH drops, but it should drop slowly not within a snap.

sergo
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
if you're having hardness issues you need find out out where it's coming from. is it in your tap water? what is your substrate made of? a water softener pillow will lower your gh but they only work really good one time but if it's coming from your substrate or tap water it will just go back up. also keep an eye on the ph like nanaglen said, r/o water has a lower ph than most tap water and it can cause some ph swings if your not watching it closely.

Fishguy2727
07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I do not soften my tap at all and is is very hard. My discus do fine in it, I just use a buffer to keep the pH down, otherwise it would be up at 7.8 or more. If your tap is at 7.0, that is fine for most discus. I think it would be better to get them used to that since it would be very stable, rather than trying to mess with it and possibly cause problems with pH.

Does your tap water come out at 7.0 AND stay that way?

Many time the tap water can fluctuate after a few days. I would take a sample from the tap, let it sit out for a few days, then test the pH in the sample and in the tap. If they are both 7.0 then I would not mess with softening or pH adjustment.

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree to use half RO and half tap. All RO water is void of some of the things needed and generally suppliments have to be used if using only RO.

I have hard water myself. One mark below the highest hardness but my fish do fine in it. However, I do not have Discus.

salman
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
The tap waters pH is at 7, and the hardness is at 20. I dont know if the pH stays that way, but after 2 or 3 days when i measure the pH in the water, it says its 5. When i bought my discus they said to put a piece of wood in the aquarium which will make them feel at home and it will do something with the pH, i am not sure what it does. The next day i went and bought alot more wood and filled the bottom of the fish tank because it looked really nice. Do you guys have any idea? Should i take the wood out?

Yesterday when i did a 50% water change to RO water, the pH read 6.5, and the hardness was at 13. But when i checked it just now, the pH dropped to 6 and the hardness remained at 13. I am sure the pH will drop to 5 for some reason, i keep thinking the wood is messing around with the pH but i am not sure, and i dont want to remove them all if i am not sure.

And if i just leave my pH at 5 and do 10% water changes, it will keep the pH at 5, or close to it like 5.5, is that ok?

Fishguy2727
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I would set some out in an open container to see if the tap is dropping to 5.0 on its own. If it does than the best thing would be buy a new trach can and use it to hold water before water changes. It allows the tap to get to the pH that will hold at naturally, rather than subjecting the discus to that change. A stable pH is very important. That could be one thing or the only thing stressing the discus and could be causing the discoloration.

salman
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I would set some out in an open container to see if the tap is dropping to 5.0 on its own. If it does than the best thing would be buy a new trach can and use it to hold water before water changes. It allows the tap to get to the pH that will hold at naturally, rather than subjecting the discus to that change. A stable pH is very important. That could be one thing or the only thing stressing the discus and could be causing the discoloration.

I just filled a bottle with tap water and a bottle of RO water. I will check in a day or 2 to see if the pH is dropping or no. I also removed half of my driftwood from my aquarium to see if that has anything to do with the pH drops as well.

salman
07-14-2007, 05:06 PM
I went out and bought another test kit, and when i tested the pH, on the graph the minimum pH was 6.4, and it said the color of the water matched 6.4. But on my old test kit, the lowest pH on the graph was 5, and the color matched. So is my pH 5? or it is lower?

Also, my tap water is 8 pH, i thought it was 7, but after testing it again it was 8. How can i tank have a pH of 5 or less? I have a bit of driftwood inside but thats it. Can something else be messing with the pH?

Josh708
02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
r/o water and units are soo overrated its not even funny like fishguy our water is very hard with a ph 7.5 my neighbor has had his 5 discus for years and they are all healthy. Just keep the water super clean no ammonia no nitrates and a stable ph and hardness and u will be fine most people fail because they read about ph and hardness then start making changes to their water which they never get stable. Most likely your discus is tank bred and can tolerate many differnt ph's and hardness. Soft water and r/o should be used in a wild discus biotope

Stable water conditions, clean water and gravel,healthy diet and u should have success at keeping discus