PDA

View Full Version : My 1st anubias

jessfish
03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I have a goldfish tank..with a pleco so I am sure any live plant I put in has a 50/50 chance of survival.

I have been looking at hardy plants, that goldfish tend to ignore for my 1st real plant. I have read that pleco's tend to up root these...but all my fish are well fed so I'm hoping for the best for the anubias.

I haven't gotten the plant yet, but wondering besides the obvious 'fish could eat/uproot it' problem is there anything I should know about it's care (its freshwater tank, sand subtrate).

I have driftwood & rocks & will attach it to one of those.

ps I also have snails - Will my snails think they've died & gone to heaven & destroy my plant?

:22:

Lab_Rat
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Many fish will leave anubias alone. It's a good one to try for plant unfriendly fish. I'd strap it to driftwood. One thing I found that helps plant destroyers leave plants alone is to make sure they always have access to fresh veggies to munch on. Also, adding a bunch of plants at once seems to cut down on the abuse any one plant takes.

jessfish
03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Also, adding a bunch of plants at once seems to cut down on the abuse any one plant takes.

Great tip!! thanks for that!!

So I guess I should start feeding my snails again than lol

Fisharefriends27
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Mines growing like crazy. Seems like there's a new leaf everyday.

jessfish
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok i've got 2 plants...now what?

im looking up ways to disinfect them before i put them in the tank - i've heard of a bleach/water solution to soak the plant for a min or two - this the best way to go?

jessfish
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Also - should i be adding some kind of fertilizer type thing?
i've read the anubias is ok with the ph level i have & i add a calcium supplement every few days for the snails anyway

just wondering if there is more to this particular plant then just putting it in the tank...they are very pretty & i want to have the correct care

:19:

ohh im so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hope my fish, snails, pleco dont eat them

there are also a few holes & brown spots on one leaf - should i just remove this leaf? i think i read it won't recover & should just be taken off.

i've read about a 1:19 solution of bleach - im not sure how to get this ratio if i do this in the sink - can i fill the sink with water & add a teaspoon of bleach? is that to much bleach/not enough bleach?

Lab_Rat
03-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I think bleach is harsh on plants so I usually just do an alum dip. Potassium permanganate is another option. You can QT the plants for a couple days as well.

jessfish
03-02-2011, 01:05 AM
would rinsing with tap water & then rinsing in dechlorinated water do anything productive?

i mostly want to kill off any disease/parasites/snails that could be there

I really want to do this on the cheap & dont want to go out again tonight to buy something lol

jessfish
03-02-2011, 02:08 AM
here are my plants (there are actually 2) now that i have had a good look at them they were looking a little rough - the rhizome (is that the bottom stem part) was starting to rot (it was buried when i bought it) i trimmed off the rotten part & trimmed the roots a small bit.
I also cleaned them - & people were not kidding about snails!!!!!!!!!
there were ALOT of snails & snail eggs - i think i was able to pick them all off!!

so far the fish havent gone near the plants, i'll see how the snails have reacted by the morning i guess & i still hope they live - i've heard they are hardy so i hope the condition of the stems won't kill them

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/Jessfish2011/20110301_01_02.jpg

jessfish
03-02-2011, 04:03 AM
If my plants make it through the night is there anything I need to be adding to keep them healthy?

Lab_Rat
03-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Nice looking plants! That's good you trimmed off the rotted parts. Anubias are pretty bullet proof, though they do tend to like some iron in the water column. Wait and see how well they grow, if they seem to be growing really slowly you may want to dose some iron/ferts.

jessfish
03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
awesome thanks!

i will look it up but is iron fine for snails, pleco, goldfish?

jessfish
03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
It's lived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far the fish & snails haven't done any thing to the plants - which is awesome - i already want more!!!
they look like maybe they moved slightly - but that could just be slight water current - i think if Peru (pleco) had tried to move them there would have be damage of some sort

:19: