PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Beta Fish

saigonbynight
07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
I have few questions concerning breeding Beta fish, please HELP !!! :
1. Do I need to let the Male and Female see/signing each other before put them together, if YES, how often, and for how many days prior putting them in the breeding tank ?
2. I notice that my Male fish making litlle buble nest on their container, is it their sign of "marking" territory, or is it Mating time/season ?
3. How do I know that the Male, and Female are compatible for breeding, in another word, how days that I need to put them in the breeding tank ?
4. Where can I purchase food for the fry ?

PLEASE, somebody HELP ME !!!

Incredulous_Ed
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/articles/BreedingBettas.html

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/breeding.php

dev
07-10-2007, 10:15 PM
1. Do I need to let the Male and Female see/signing each other before put them together, if YES, how often, and for how many days prior putting them in the breeding tank ?

No, it is usually ok to keep them seperated for a few days prior to adding them to the tank. If you have a split tank where they can see eachother but not actually reach eachother you could have them like that for a couple of days.

2. I notice that my Male fish making litlle buble nest on their container, is it their sign of "marking" territory, or is it Mating time/season ?

Sounds like it's mating season :)

3. How do I know that the Male, and Female are compatible for breeding, in another word, how days that I need to put them in the breeding tank ?

I would give them one or two days.

4. Where can I purchase food for the fry ?

In just about any local aquarium shop.

Newly hatched brine shrimp is probably the best fry food easily available, but unshelled brine shrimp eggs or liquid fry food will do.

zackish
07-11-2007, 12:31 AM
When I bread my bettas I had a 2.5 gallon unheated aquarium with no filter. Dropped the 2 fish in there, within 3 days there was a bubble nest that almost took up half the aquarium. After that about a week later I had fry falling one day. Remove the female and the male and I was left with about 4 fry. I am not sure if I took out the male too quick. I know for a certain period of time he catches the eggs in his mouth as they fall and blows them back into the nest but after a certain amount of time he just eats them. My betta looked like he was eating them that is why I took him out.

Nolapete
07-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Breeding bettas is relatively easy. The only difference between breeding them and gouramis is that the male bettas are a bit brutal with the females if they aren't ready to spawn.

Professional breeders use a glass "chimney" to separate the female from the male. This allows the male to see her, but not touch. He'll generally go crazy building a bubble nest.

Condition your pair separately until the male starts blowing a bubble nest. At this point, you can move the pair to the ten gallon tank described below. You can move the male first to give him a chance to get a bubble nest going, but it's not necessary. Be sure to keep the female separated with a glass "chimney" or cylinder until the male has a good bubble nest going.

They are all easy to set up to breed in a ten gallon tank. Put two to three inches of water in an empty 10 gallon tank, add some plant material like cabomba leaves, and put a glass top on the tank. I've found it easiest to put the tank in a rubbermaid tub with 3-4 inches of water and then use a heater to raise the temp to 82-84 degrees.

Once they spawn, remove the female and put her in your QT tank to heal up from any torn fins she may have. The male will tend to the eggs and blow them into his bubble nest until they hatch. He'll still tend to them after they hatch, but at this point you can remove him. Raise the water level in the tank to half way full and add a small sponge filter. Don't turn up the air too high as the fry will get sucked into the sponge.

Feed small portions frequently and siphon off any remaining food and debris. Change 50% of the water every other day being careful not to siphon off fry.