PDA

View Full Version : snail mail

falcon
07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
whats the best way to get rid of snails dont want to use anti snail treatment thats 1.2 is my 1 and only discus wont eat freeze dried bloodworms.i want to go on a short break for 2 or 3 days can i get a auto matic feeder for frzen bloodworms

Fishguy2727
07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Yoyo botias would probably be the best snail eater, besides clown loaches which get pretty big.

What all have you tried feeding? The only automatic feeder for frozen foods is someone you trust with your fish. Have you tried New Life Spectrum? That is the only thing my discus get and they are quite enthusiastic about it. Worst case is that healthy fish can easily go a few days without eating.

xoolooxunny
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I'll second fishguy's opinion on the automatic fish feeder. Don't waste your money, they'll be fine for 2-3 weeks without feeding. I sometimes go 2-3 days without feeding just to clear their systems out, then start them back up with greens so they dont get backed up.

As far as snail control goes, if you dont want to add yoyo's, khulis are great for everything but malaysian trumpet snails. Otherwise, reduce your feeding significantly. they can only thrive with a healthy food source, just like everything else thats alive, and which also means your fish arent finishing their dinner.

I solved my snail problem by doing the following:

1. reduce feeding by at least 1/3.
2. Add 3 khuli loaches (75g tank)
3. suck out as many as possible during cleaning.

salman
07-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Fish can go up to a week without food. You will be fine, but over feed them a little bit before you go away. Then do the same when you come back. :)