PDA

View Full Version : Fishless Cycle in outside Pond (s)

Cliffs
07-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Any thoughts on Using the fishless cycle on (2 ) new 165 gallon outside koi ponds.
I will not be able to heatthe water to get the cycling fast like an aquarium but it will take a little longer.
My concern is the ammonia in the water , I don't want to have an animal or bird drink from it and get sick or poisoned. Im sure I can make a cover
It looks like alot of the koi pond forms just use fish and the fish waste and let the bio filter build up over time. I was hopeing to seed the bio filter with some of my indoor filter media and use ammonia like we do with aquariums. I have alot of ammonia left over from the 2 55 gallon takes I just did. What do you guys think?

xoolooxunny
07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I'd say go for the fishless. You can get bird netting for the bond that drapes over and you can hook it on some rocks. You might want to consider that permanent if you live in an area where blue herons or sandhill cranes can swing by, even if you've never seen them. my neighbors 10yr old kois in his 12 yr old pond were gone in less than a week.

Anyway, back on subject. if you seed from another tank, you should be able to start with one small fish in each pond, instead of adding ammonia.

Cliffs
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks, at least with one small fish I have something going this summer, using the ammomia its going to be weeks. Thanks for the input