PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Another Breeding Question

aquariums+me=happy
02-27-2011, 05:40 PM
So I have finally found out why none of my fry are surviving to be free swimming. Im almost certain that the male is eating them ALL. Its getting really frustrating. This is my second spawn, and the exact same thing has happend both times: they spawn......male looks after the eggs.......they hatch and the male does his job putting them back in the nest for about 2 days.......then I go to sleep one night and when I wake up, theres no more fry.:sconfused: Ive heard that some first timers will eat the eggs??? Will he just grow out of it? I haven't been feeding him when he is taking care of the eggs and fry. Should I feed him during that time?? Got any suggestions.......???

Cyberra
02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
I thought you're not supposed to leave the male in with the fry for more than two days or so, until the fry can keep themselves in the nest. *doesn't breed but has researched it somewhat*

aquariums+me=happy
02-28-2011, 12:54 AM
well from what I understand your supposed to keep him in there until they are free swimming. 4-5 days. It seems to me that none of the fry can keep themselves in the nest even with the male helping them out. (maybe thats the problem)

tori.lock
02-28-2011, 05:57 AM
I would give him a few more tries to figure it out. He may just not be the father type. I assume you aren't keeping anything else in the tank, correct? Once you have all the fry, do you have somewhere to put them? Remember that they will all need to be separated, and bettas have, I may be over shooting this, a few hundred eggs per spawn.

aquariums+me=happy
02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
yes, and yes. with my female, theres only aprox. 50.

kingkarter
02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
I would look in the breeding section of this forum http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?act=idx