PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Bristlenose pleco's Overbreeding.

gadget228
02-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Due to the amount of fry these two turn out I need to split them up by moving one of them to another tank. Question is if I do this and later decide to put them back together will they bond up again ?

The only other tank that I have that will suit one of them is my 30 and it already has a rubbernose or rubberlip pleco in it and not sure what sex it is so not sure if I should move the male or female to it.

Any suggestions ?

Northernguy
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I would move the male over to the 30.
I do think they will start again after you reintroduce them.

jwstewart
02-27-2011, 05:54 PM
I have the same situation.

I keep a betta in the tank for population control, less than a handful mature from each spawn.

toddnbecka
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
BN aren't pair-bonding fish like cichlids. Females will choose whichever male suits them (if there are more than one of either sex) when they're ready to spawn, but they go their own way again after laying their eggs. Noi worries about them being compatible again later as long as they are/were to start with.

MCHRKiller
02-27-2011, 06:25 PM
You could just find the clutch of eggs and feed them to another tank or scrape them off before they hatch. Think of it as somewhat of a fish abortion :hmm3grin2orange:

toddnbecka
02-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Actually, all you would need to do would be move the egg clutch somewhere else in the tank. W/out the male protecting the eggs they'll quickly disappear. I've seen it happen in my BN breeding tank after a whole clutch was apparently kicked out of the cave by the male. They were gone the next day, either the other BN or L-333's got them overnight.

Alasse
02-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Not giving them a cave will help keep spawns down. The male having to try to protect the eggs in the open, if you have other fish in the tank, is generally not successful

I would not put the male in the 30 with the other one, if it happens to be another male, fights will occur.

If split up they will definately spawn again when paired.