PDA

View Full Version : Freezer pond journal

Alasse
02-27-2011, 10:02 AM
So checked the upright freezer and its deceased! Soooooooooo onto the make over *L*

Pic of it not cleaned out *L* But prior to me fully gutting it.

So today 27th Feb 2011
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish%20Tanks/315litre%20Pond/Freezer.jpg

Rue
02-27-2011, 12:50 PM
My condolences on your loss...it looked like it was a mighty fine freezer in it's day...

Alasse
02-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Sooooo after some research, i;m pretty sure i'll have to get a professional out to degass the freezer before i can decomission it and make it into a pond...I'll be doing a bit of a ring around today to suss this out a bit more

Rue
02-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Are you sure it's worth it? Might just end up costing more to use it as a pond, and not look quite like what you expected...

smaug
02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
It wont last as a pond.If its going outside,the uv light from the sun will deteriorate the liner and it will crack.Not to mention you may coin another "you may be a redneck " phrase :hmm3grin2orange:

Alasse
02-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Well i wont know if its worth it until i check prices on degassing. It will certainly be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a premade pond i bet. Not quite sure what you mean by looks, it will look pretty much exactly as it does now only no shelves and it will be laying on its back *shrugs*

As for UV cracking it, thats all good, its not something that will happen anytime soon. And when it does, i'll empty and line it with pond liner.

And i am no redneck...i do however like to recycle. Better i use it for something than it end up as landfill.

Alasse
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
A better thought on sealing. I will coat the interior in a coloured pond sealer, the white will probably be too stark anyway. That will also solve any UV problems. Easy fix

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Can't see why you can't throw a liner in it, tho. I had a friend who used his for shrimp dipping and pool parties. Fill it full of fish and fill it full of fish. party time!

Alasse
02-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Pond liner will be a last resort, as it wont give the nice crisp edges i'm looking for. A good quality liner is very expensive and a pain to work with *L* I prefer the idea of just painting the inside the desired colour, crisp and clean lines to the finish also.

Still trying to track down an answer to the refrigerant thing. One guy was fairly confident that the freezer has ran out of gas, so removal wont be necessary. But geez, i dont want to release anything that will harm the ozone either. I'm trying to get a hold of another mob, but they're not answering at present. Sooo if i cant get a satifactory answer, i'll be leaving the refrigerant pipe in the freezer and work around them rather than risk illegally releasing gases

Alasse
04-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Freezer is now in use. Feeders and goldies in residence

Heaps more plants still need to be added, also going to add a few more goldies
As it is today
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish%20Tanks/315litre%20Pond/Pond4thApr2011.jpg

Rue
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Did you figure out all the issues? I'm assuming so, since it's now a tank.

For some reason I thought you wanted it in-ground...

Alasse
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Yep all sorted

No definately not inground. I rent and want to be able to take it with me if i move.

Frogs have started to move around the pond, found some green tree frogs yesterday while i was doing the water change.

DylanisHawttt
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I have to say... that is one extremely original pond! Hahaha thumbs2:

Looks good though! Definitely something out of the ordinary :fish2:

Alasse
04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanx Dylan.

Its turned out better than i'd hoped. Neat and tidy.

Daylight pics
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish%20Tanks/315litre%20Pond/Goldies5thApr2011.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish%20Tanks/315litre%20Pond/Goldies5thApr2011a.jpg

DrNic
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
That's a fantastic pond!! What a great way to recycle an old freezer!!

Maybe I missed it in the thread but was there any problem getting the unit to hold the weight of the water?

Alasse
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes i like it. Too many people throw things away now days without potential to be used for something else successfully

No problems at all with the water weight. I imagine there maybe slight bowing in time, but so far its been excellent

Rue
04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
The white interior is nice! You can see the fish really well!

Cascade
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I must admit, the before and after photos of your pond took me by surprise. My visionary skills are clearly not as developed as yours! I was expecting, "Huh, that's a freezer full of water"... but it actually came out very nicely!

Any idea how many gallons it is?

ilroost
04-05-2011, 10:45 PM
great idea, i would of never thought of that. it looks great

Alasse
04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Rue - yes i like the white too, wasnt sure first up, we were going to pond paint it, but after the test fill we decided not to, very very easy to clean surface too.

Cascade/ilroost - I'm always looking at things a bit out of the box *L* I like to recycle if i can...we are very much a throw away society, and its sad. My Dad lives by the motto, Ones mans junk is another mans treasure. I think some of my old man rubbed off on me :D

The pond is approx 80 gallons

HeatherB
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
That's really cool! And when something happens to it (cracking/bowing etc) you just go the junkyard and pick up another one!!