PDA

View Full Version : Plant Ideas

PandaLUV
02-27-2011, 07:25 AM
I was wanting to get some plants for my 4 foot, to really kind green it up. So i have some questions.

Would HC do at all well in river sand?
I need something that provides some top cover, so i looked at some species and found this one called pennywort, it looks nice, but im worried it could dominate my tank or something, or wont provide good top cover.
or another options for top cover could be this plant i found called... "Ottelia Alismoides", sorry i couldn't find a common name, so some of you my not know about it?
Finally, are lotus hard to keep? as thinking about getting a tiger lotus

thankyou for your time

MCHRKiller
02-27-2011, 08:07 AM
I was wanting to get some plants for my 4 foot, to really kind green it up. So i have some questions.

Would HC do at all well in river sand? No, HC requires a very rich yet small grain substrate. Grain size is fine but sand is inert and pretty baren as far as nutrients go. Try something like EcoComplete or a planted aquarium specific soil.
I need something that provides some top cover, so i looked at some species and found this one called pennywort, it looks nice, but im worried it could dominate my tank or something, or wont provide good top cover.
or another options for top cover could be this plant i found called... "Ottelia Alismoides", sorry i couldn't find a common name, so some of you my not know about it? Pennywort is a very quick growing floater...however it is manageable with a weekly prune...it also looks great and can really suck up some nutrients. If you plan to use it on combo with HC make sure you have very intense light as HC is very light hungry and pennywort could block out light from the HC.
Finally, are lotus hard to keep? as thinking about getting a tiger lotus. They are not hard to grow, they require medium light and ferts in both the water column and substrate. Otherwise a healthy plant should do well when provided with proper conditions.
thankyou for your time

Your welcome, answers in red :22: