PDA

View Full Version : Plants while cycling?

Freshwaterfish78
02-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Is it a good ideal to have a few plants in the aquarium while it is cycling? I have a 20-gallon freshwater aquarium. It's only two days into cycling. If it's okay, what kind of plants are recommended?

Thanks

Alasse
02-27-2011, 04:38 AM
I use plants in all cycling tanks. They can help stabalise it quicker. I use a nutrient hog, like wisteria.

SunSchein89
02-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Plants never really affect your cycling in a bad way. If you're cycling with fish, it's only going to help to keep the water less harmful. For a fishless cycle, all you're really doing there is growing out your tank and figuring out what plants will work for you.

Duck weed, wisteria, hygrophilia compacta, anubias, java ferns, possibly some swords if you have the light for it and it's a tall tank, ludwigia spp.... all good choices and easy to find to start you out.

Freshwaterfish78
02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll consider trying some plants now.

Strider199
02-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Freshwaterfish78 I've been keeping fish for a long time and until I started keeping live plants I didn't know what I was missing. Plants make the fish really stand out. Good luck with your new tank.:19:

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2011, 02:19 AM
Make sure you have the lights to accomodate plants tho. No point in buying plants without proper lighting or they will not survive.

Freshwaterfish78
02-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Just bought and put into the tank what I think is a nice little Java Fern. The tag only said aquatic plant. I have two incandescent bulbs over the tank. From what I read about this plant is it doesn't require that much light from a little research. Plus it will get some morning sun. Thanks for the feedback and well wishes.

Cermet
03-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Speaking of lights - use a timer to control the lights so they are not on too long - algae is just waiting to run wild. A very inexpensive light control timer is sold at wally Mart (ok, the joke doesn't help if you don't know what I mean: wal mart:hmm3grin2orange: