PDA

View Full Version : Live plants with cichlids?

DrNic
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
It seems like whenever I see cichlid setups people always use rocks/pots/driftwood to decorate but never include live plants. Are cichlids plant eaters? Or is there some other reason that I never see plants in these setups?

I ask because I'm beginning to put some thought into the next setup for my 75G tank after we move in the spring. I'm tossing around going with either discus or peacock cichlids but don't want to abandon plants unless I have to.

Alasse
02-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Most of the time the destroy the plants.

Discus are fine with plants as are angels.

I've kept plants with maingano, electric yellows and oscars. But its a case of trial and error to see which plants they will leave alone

WhiteDevil
02-25-2011, 11:05 PM
peacock apisto's? or larger peacocks?

Apistos will be fine with the plants infact its pretty much a nessecity.

MCHRKiller
02-25-2011, 11:11 PM
You can have plants with cichlids of any form if you are willing to compromise on the type of plants used. There arnt many fish that for example would mess with java moss firmly tied down to rocks or wood. Moss balls are also fun for cichlids to kick around, and then java ferns and anubias are resistant to damage if they are attached to items in the tank. For discus you will also need to keep water temperature into consideration, their preferred temps are higher than most plants. Crinum and Swords are excellent options for them as well.