PDA

View Full Version : pleco pics?

SharkBait1992
02-25-2011, 04:43 AM
when i search different plecos on google i always see pics of people holding them by their head. im just curious as to if this is safe for a pleco? and growing up i was always told touching your fish was bad for them. mostly im just curious about people holding their plecs by the head.

jessfish
02-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Ah i have 1st hand knowledge of this one...the 1st time i picked up my pleco i was wearing a rubber glove - he's a common/sailfin - doesn't have any spines that stick out & hurt...
but after picking him up & back in the tank his fins were a little shredded...
I went & talked to one of the 'pleco guys' at big al's & he showed me how to pick them up...which is best by the side of the head (not the top), or head & tail but that can be really tricky. By tricky i mean that holing it tight by the head & tight by the tail & it wiggles around it could get hurt.
the reason
plecos tend to strech out their fins as a defence, making it really hard to grab them, hold on to them & not hurt them or yourself. When I have had to pick mine up i do pick him up by the head usually with a net around him (or a pillowcase) but have my hand over his top fin area. so he is held secure

as for touching fish being bad - its not great to do because it can remove the stress coat - but if you are in a situation where u have to pick them up then you have to pick em up

SharkBait1992
02-25-2011, 05:56 PM
thanks i was always courious aboutn that. it always looked like the people were squishing their little heads.

jessfish
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
i know! i still wonder if they could be squishing their mouth though LOL

what got me with those pictures was that the top fin was always up - i didnt understand how that was possible until this guy told me thats what they do to defend themselves, i guess if we were fish trying to eat them it would work lol

SharkBait1992
02-26-2011, 01:11 AM
yea ha because they would look bigger or it would poke the other fishes mouth if the already got sucked in.