PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish eating brown algae..

Zen Master Gold
02-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Like crazy! Tank is 8 weeks old and doing well water quality wise. Fully cycled, zero ammonia and nitrites, ~10 on the nitrate scale and zero PO4.
About 2 weeks ago I started with a "minor" diatom bloom. Nothing crazy. Just keep up with the water changes, cleaning ect. My question is surrounding the fish who are now grazing on it non stop and pooping alomost constantly!
I feed only once a day sparingly and prior to the diatoms the "pooping" was under control..but now! It's non stop and sometimes very long (and black in color which I'm attributing to the brown algae) Is this bad for them in terms of overeating? Should I not feed for a day or 2?
I know eventually the diatoms should go away but at this point i'm going nuts with the waste clean up!
Thanks for the advice here.
Zen MG

Lady Hobbs
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I think your fish are just maturing. Goldfish and pleco are poop factories. Never knew they ate diatoms but good for you. Maybe they've keep it from being such a bother.

Zen Master Gold
02-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Maybe..they are young. Maybe 2 inches long (fantail).They are constantly picking at the lower walls of the aquarium where the diatoms like to grow..and of course the gravel and decorations. Like a buffet!

Wild Turkey
02-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Its good thing imo. Grazing all day is more natural for fish, and as hobbs pointed out plecos and goldies are waste machines so thats quite normal.