PDA

View Full Version : Colombian Shark?

xCarriedAway
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I have what I'm pretty sure is a catfish. He was sold to us as a 'hi fin shark' but after a few searches when we got home, we found out it was a completely different fish. A bit more searching and the closest match I could find was a Colombian Shark, though I am only 80% sure on this so here's a picture if anyone can verify... The picture doesn't show it but he has a wide mouth..
http://i56.tinypic.com/2j0yws4.jpg

The profiles say that it is a brackish fish, so I was thinking of buying him a separate tank in the near future since he is currently in our freshwater tank and has eaten 7 of our smaller fish already... Currently he's in a 20gal tank but what size should I get for him? Will it need a filter, heater, etc?

Thanks.. :)

Edit: Right now he is only a few inches long, if that helps as to what size tank he should have

Brhino
02-24-2011, 05:34 PM
It does indeed look like a colombian shark. I don't have personal experience with them, but the two main points of interest look to be the fact that they can grow to nearly two feet long, and that they need to transition from fresh/brackish to brackish/marine as they age.

Keeping this fish properly will not be cheap. It will require a very large tank. The first thing you should do is decide if you want to invest the time and money in providing a proper home for this fish. If the answer is no, you should see if you can return it or find another suitable home for it.

Dave66
02-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Looks like a very young Iridescent shark; Pangasius species. Grows to four feet, and is a schooling fish, so no fewer than six, meaning a truly massive tank in the many thousands of gallons to keep them.

Can't be a columbian shark, since they have whiskers.

Dave

Brhino
02-24-2011, 05:36 PM
It looks like the fish in the picture has one visible whisker, angled backwards and down.

skullduggery1
02-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Dave,is right about that one.could be a mekong giant though.Have been seeing juvies for sale lately.Look at the eyes and chunker body.If it is a bigger version it could grow into a 10 foot monster.There are many,many pangius catfish.

Brhino
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
well, these guys know their fish better than me, so I'm probably wrong. Either way this fish is going to be massive one day, so unless you're looking to buy an enormous tank this fish won't be suitable for you.

Fisharefriends27
02-24-2011, 08:56 PM
If you do keep him/her he/she will need a filter. All fish NEED a filter.

xCarriedAway
02-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.. he does have whiskers, here's a better picture:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2vsfd3l.jpg

If the general idea is that he will need a much bigger tank we will probably not be able to keep him... Currently we are living in an appt and it will probably be a hassle to maintain it, and we are planning on moving soon anyways... I guess we will have to see what happens :)

jessfish
02-25-2011, 02:41 AM
too bad it gets so big - which ever fish it is, its beautiful!!

Sasquatch
02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I agree with Dave, it's a member of the Pangasius genus. The variety sold as "Hi-fin" is a cousin of the iridescent shark. They get a little smaller, but are more aggressive. Keep an eye on them, they can be real pigs at feeding time.

Brhino
02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
has eaten 7 of our smaller fish already...

Keep an eye on them, they can be real pigs at feeding time.

I'd say you're correct! :hmm3grin2orange:

xCarriedAway
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: that's funny! He is actually pretty good at feeding time, he used to eat all of the flakes he could possibly find in the first couple months, now he just sort of gets excited and swims around the whole tank eating the bigger pieces :) and he completely ignores brine shrimp!

Also, thanks for the advice, now I am pretty sure he is actually a Paroon and not a colombian :)

ThunderBugGT
12-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Hi im new to the forum and i also have this fish and have 2 of em. just got them from mainland tropical fish farm

Slaphppy7
12-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the AC.

It would be best to start a new thread for your tanks/fish for the best replies, this thread is very old, and now closed.