PDA

View Full Version : Curious Eggs Above Water Level

marahw2006
07-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I have had my 30 Litre BiOrb tank set up as tropical for just over a year. I have two dwarf cichlids - a male and female, two angel fish of unknown gender, and a few other fish that aren't in pairs. I have been advised that the cichlids are more likely to lay their eggs in the pots or plants, and also the cluster of eggs is at least four times the size of my female and just stuck to the side of the tank in a clump about 2cm above the water level. I have no experience in breeding fish, but would rather like to try it out and see this as the perfect opportunity... sadly i dont even know wether the eggs are from the cichlids or angel fish... they just appeared! Help!

rollie
07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
do you have apple snails, in your tank. because this is what they do. lol

marahw2006
07-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I only have one snail, and I don't know what type it is! he's black with a yellowish shell and has a weird long stripey tail that he sticks out now and again... could it be him? what else could it be? thankyou for replying!!!!

Drumachine09
07-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I only have one snail, and I don't know what type it is! he's black with a yellowish shell and has a weird long stripey tail that he sticks out now and again... could it be him? what else could it be? thankyou for replying!!!!

Sounds like it to me. Unless you want a MAJOR outbreak, i would remove the eggs.

rollie
07-09-2007, 11:29 PM
it him, your snail.

in snails you only need one to have babys.

rollie
07-09-2007, 11:32 PM
the apples snails, do not have youngs that fast.

now the little pond snail, will have a million , million babys a year.

marahw2006
07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
haha sounds cool, I would love to have a load more snails, should I put them in a separate tank with more plants or will I be able to carry on as normal and let the snails do their thing or is it really best to just remove them? will the fish eat the eggs or the baby snails? your help is much appreciated folks!

rollie
07-09-2007, 11:49 PM
carry on as normal.

most fish like apple snail, to eat. if you want them, move your big one to another tank, that way the next time you will get more young. lol

marahw2006
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
hahaha so this time my fish get some gourmet food... but ill move him to another tank now! thankyou so much xx marah xx

genitor
07-10-2007, 01:18 AM
it him, your snail.

in snails you only need one to have babys.
Some snails actually need a male and female and has to mate.