PDA

View Full Version : Cherry red shrimp

freddie
02-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I read that these are real good for alage control, does anyone out there have them or have a opion on them?

Brhino
02-24-2011, 02:37 AM
They are fun to have for sure, but they will not best an algae problem for you. They're too small to eat a ton of algae, even if you have a lot of them.

The solution to algae is to identify the imbalance in your tank that is causing it in the first place. We can help with that, if you'd like.

mermaidwannabe
02-24-2011, 02:57 AM
I have RCS. They largely hang out in the floating plants at the surface, though occasionally one of them will descend to the substrate or land on an ornament near it. Usually, it's in transition from one section of the tank to another, enroute to finding it's way up to another part of the floating canopy. In open water, they have a jerky gliding motion and the propel themselves along. I often see one or more of them resting on the pre-filter sponge, picking at the debri trapped on it.

Their little feathery-like front filters are always moving rapidly, filtering out tidbits that only they can see. I never have to worry about feeding the shrimp directly, as they always seem to manage to find something in the tank to eat. Still, I sometimes like to put in freeze-dried daphnia or fry food for the smaller fish, knowing that some of that will also wind up inside the shrimp.

I have three of them that I see regularly, and probably others that I haven't seen, yet. I bought a whole bunch of them awhile back, and undoubtedly some became food for the dojos and other fish, but with all those plants to hide in, I also knew some would survive to grow to their adult size. They fade in and out of coloration, often they're a very bright red, but I will see the same individuals resting on a plant almost invisible due to being nearly transparent.

RCS are fun, and pretty easy to keep. I just have to be careful when I remove the floating plants to vacuum my gravel that I make sure all the shrimp get back into the tank when I'm finished. I always check the bucket once the plants are back in the tank. If I see any of the shrimp in the bottom of the bucket, I net them out and put them back into their plants. They're not always that easy to see, so I have really observe.

RCS will thrive in cooler water, by the way. Just give them plenty of hiding places.

-- mermaidwannabe

PandaLUV
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
WEll u could get them, but there are things that are better for the job. Like if it is a bigger tank ud be better of getting a Bristle nose or oto. because they tend to cover a lot more ground. CRS also reproduce like crazy, so if you dont want to many, maybe not a good idea. Do u know the kelvin level on your light tube?

chrisfraser05
02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I've got 20+ cherries.

At first all they did was hide. Now they are getting brave and I see them all over the tank.

Since they started comming out more I have seen a massive reduction in the amount of hair algaes and diatoms etc in the tank.

The tank is very much cleaner in my opinion overall.

They will not touch the small amount of BBA I have near my rocks or the staghorn on one of my plants. That will require manual remval me thinks!