PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my new BN pleco

MCools
02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
So, I got a bristle nosed pleco for my 37g. I was surprised to find one at my local Petsmart, they don't normally stock them there. Anyway, it's a juvenile, about 2 1/2 inches long, and he's sitting in the 10g I'm using for QT. (don't know if it's really a boy, just going to call it he anyway) I bought him last Thursday.

I also bought a piece of seasoned mopani driftwood for him that has some kind of moss growing on it. The first few days he was in the tank he liked to hide under the driftwood and every morning the tank was full of black pleco poo. The last two days though he's been hinging out on the glass and there has been a lack of pleco poo of any color (there is no algae in the tank). I've been doing water changes every day with a light vac of the gravel, using Prime with every change and also using Nutrafin Cycle to help keep the parameters in check. Before doing a water change I have been reading trace amounts of ammonia, but it's not enough to really get a reading. Nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the 10g just isn't stable enough for him right now? I can move him over to my 37g if it would be better for him. I'm worried that he's getting stressed out in there because he's not eating (that I can tell). I even put some zuchinni in there for him and he hasn't touched it.

This is the first time I've bothered to QT a new addition to the tank and I feel like it's biting me in the hind end!:help:

jessfish
02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
how's his belly look? is it sucked in at all?

are you feeding veggies too?

try diff veg like zucchinin, spinach, tomato even (without the seeds & sloppy stuff lol)

When i got my pleco he did great the 1st few days then almost starved to death i tried diff veggies & found he loved zucchini, spinach & some diff kinds of fruit like cantelope

u could try algae wafers, but mine never touched them & fish in the main tank usually eat stuff like that before plecos have a chance to find it...maybe stick with veg

my pleco loves zucchini to the point where he now stares me down if i don't feed him every day or so LOL

MCools
02-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, jessfish! His belly doesn't look sucked in, I'd have to say it looks 'normal'. I tried giving him zuchinni ( tied to a rock to weigh it down) and I left it in there overnight, but he didn't even nibble it. Maybe he just wants something different? He didn't touch the algae wafer I had put in there the first day either, I guess they like fresh better than freeze dried too, lol. I'll be trying other veggies for him, too. Maybe I just got a picky eater.

Do you think I should move him now, or wait a few more days?

CassieLEO
02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Sometimes if they never had it before, they have to learn to like it. H ejust has to get used to it id take it out daily and put in new stuff. He will eventually love it. Its just "new" to him :D

jessfish
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know what to tell u about leaving him in QT or not...I've only ever used a QT twice, once was my pleco...
it is true sometimes they take time to realize what u are putting in the tank is food

do u have a veggie clip? if not try one I used to try & tie down the food & it wasn't eaten as much as when i started using the clip...

a great one that works with diff size foods is this one...i've tried many & broken many...this one holds up well

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Foods-Feeding-Equipment_Feeding-Tools_Sea-Veggie-Clips_8044289_102.html?tc=default

also im not sure if you've had plecos before but with mine when he started out in the big tank i just put his food wherever...& bc it took time to get used to his new home 1/2 the time he wouldn't explore...so i have a designated spot where his food goes everyday - near his cave - it works but then again now he's not even close to shy...oh & if u dont have a cave black PVC pipe is cheap

MCools
02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks, cassieLEO I didn't think about him just not thinking of it as food.

Thanks for the idea for a cave, jessfish! I don't have much more than the driftwood that he can hide in at the moment, I know he'll want more than that so I'm getting more stuff for the tank this weekend. Maybe I can find one of those veggie clip while I'm out, too. I like the fact that it has a suction cup on it. With the river rock I have to stick half my arm in the 10g tank- the 37g will be up to my armpit, lol!

Oh, and I've watched your video of Peru! That has to be the funniest thing I've seen! I hope mine has that much personality!:hmm3grin2orange:

jessfish
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Oh, and I've watched your video of Peru! That has to be the funniest thing I've seen! I hope mine has that much personality!:hmm3grin2orange:

it takes time LOL

another tip about caves...i've had peru for a yr - he was cute & tiny...now he's still cute but not tiny...i spent money on awesome looking caves but he grew out of them long before i got my money's worth. there are a lot of DIY cave ideas i'll post a pic of one that i made in the summer (he grew out of it by the fall) & now i just have a big pvc pipe with large rocks covering it

MCools
02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
That's a nice looking cave!

I plan on fixing something up for him that will be a good size for when he's fully grown, he should end up around 5". I'll just have to see what I can find to work with.

jessfish
02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
5in thats perfect! you shouldn't have any problems getting/making something that will be a good home!