PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build a pond

Jakaris
07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I recently got it into my head to build a pond in my backyard, and I've been so kind to create a list of questions :D
I could either put it in two places: Up on a hill underneath trees, receives a good deal of sun, or about 6-7 feet out from behind my garage, where it would get a good mixture of sun and shade.
How big a pond would be good for a COMPLETE beginner? I can;t make it too large, but I can do 3X6, possibly 4X7 or so.
How much am I looking at cost-wise, without fish, just to get it made?
How long would the pond last, and would a heavy winter do it in? I live in north Georgia.

Thanks!

grass-catcher
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
As a landscape contractor I have installed many ponds. It is important to find a good location. Ponds are generally used as a focal point in a landscape. It is important that you do not locate your pond close to trees. Trees contribute to your ponds maintanance because of fallen debris that must be removed to keep the PH levels in check. Also as trees grow, their roots can puncture your ponds liner. If you are going to keep fish in your pond, a minimum depth of three feet is advised. A shallow pond can quickly become too warm due to the sun. Many cities require a permit for building ponds, so check your local zoning laws. In Ocean Shores,Washington, a pond that is two and a half feet or deeper reqiures a permit, and must be inclosed by a four foot fence to keep children from possibly drowning. I have found by experience that many animals and birds will prey on fish kept in a pond. I recomend enclosing your pond area. There are a number of ways to do this, but that is another topic in itself. Aquatic plants add beauty to your pond and provide fish with a place to hide. When determining what plants to use, you should know your climate zone and get plants accordingly. Many plants are invasive and can quickly overcrowd your pond, so a little research is needed. It is a good idea to keep your plants in some kind of non-toxic container which helps, but does not eliminate to over-crowding issue.

Lady Hobbs
08-21-2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy00.asp?c=&T1=K7224&GEN1=Clearance&SKW=+WWClearance&PageNo=1

They look kinda cool on a bit on an incline with waterfall effect like above.

Dig a hole, make sure no rocks or branches are left, add layer of play sand and lay down a big pool liner to cover hole and sides. Lay large rocks around edges to hold liner and cover with dirt for planting.

The pump I'd know nothing about but I don't think the ponds sound hard at all. Pond heaters are pretty cheap, as well. You'd pay for the pump tho.

gm72
08-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Great price on that kit!

YaYgoldFish
08-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Cheaper than an actual 100g tank lol.

parrotma32578
08-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I have attached a photo of my pond. It was constructed with hard foam, a hole dug in the ground and then everything covered with concrete. Pipes were laid prior to concrete placement and electrical wire placed in conduits leading to outside workshop. The cost was in the neighborhood of $200. Good luck!

C:\Documents and Settings\Marsha Palmer\Desktop\pond guard.JPG

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Marsha Palmer\Desktop\pond guard.JPG

lol, we cant open stuff from the C drive of your computer

elmer
09-14-2007, 05:06 PM
lol, we cant open stuff from the C drive of your computerYeah, my Mac doesn't even know what C drive is ;)

10-27-2007, 04:08 AM
I have a 100G pond out in the backyard, its nice it's a simple 100G pond liner made out of hard plastic about 3 mm thick pre formed, we made an external filter with a rubbermade container, it uses 2 Rio epxoy encase mag pumps and a custom made waterfall, made by myself out of steel mesh and mortar (made out of cement, but we topped it with mortar becasue cement doesn't hold water) really nice, get some flagstoners and some cement blocks to make hiding places for the fish, they love it, when it grows a mossy/algea coat it looks natural. Really great I'll attach a pick.

Here.

NVM can't find a single pic on the Harddrive, I'll take one tomorrow maybe.

FLhome4strays
11-15-2007, 01:25 AM
I used a preformed pond I got at a home improvement store. It's a 130 gal and I think it was around $60 or so. Not much at all. The digging was the hard part. Depending on the type of fish / plants you have you'll probably have to bring them in for a few winter months, but the pond itself will be just fine. I have 2 heaters in mine (central FL) and leave my turtles / fish in over the winter, but the plants (water hyacinth & water lettuce) always die off if we have few 'cold' nights running. Many plants will need to be 'weeded' out, as they'll overpopulate the pond quickly...no problem - either give some away or add them to your compost pile. I've been told that a small pond (under 300 gal) should be 60-70% of the surface area covered (w/ plants, etc) to maintain healthy temps, etc. Partial shade is very good - summer can heat the water real quick! - but AVOID TREES! The debris is just NOT worth it. I'd aim for a minimum depth of 3'...my pond is only about 2' and the temps swing too much for my liking. I have a simple submersible filter / pump that diverts to a waterfall for airation. I'd like to upgrade, but I think it would be ok if not for my (very messy!!!) turtles. Make sure you put it somewhere easy to reach for cleaning. I had to move mine cause the original place was such a pain to get to.

Good luck! A pond is very addictive!

Tom D
03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
The landscaper is right. You do not want the pond near trees. The debris will cause alot of extra maintenance. I have a 1000 gal with 13 koi. This pond replaces a 110 gal plastic. The new one is rubber with a waterfal leading into it. You must get quality equipment or you will go crazy with the work afterwards. I recommend Savio stuff. Easy to clean and reliable but not cheap.
The 2 pc set includes a skimmmer filter w/ UV light and an additional waterfall living filter that directs dirt to the bottom for easy cleaning. A bottom drain is also a very good idea.
A 4' x 7' with all necessary equipent will run about $3000 with a contractor, cheaper if you do it yourself. I live in NY and the pond and fish both fare very well after a winter. Good Luck

cocoa_pleco
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
this thread is from last july