PDA

View Full Version : What to feed an Emporer or "Flash" pleco?

travelgirl
02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm kicking myself right now because we've had this beautiful pleco for about 4 months now, and I JUST learned that what he (she?) needs most is driftwood. The LFS didn't mention this when we bought him, so I've just been feeding algae wafers mostly and the occasional chunk of zucchini. D'OH!

Lesson learned. He does seem healthy, so I don't think we've done any permanent damage, and I'm going today after work to get a nice big piece of driftwood for him.

I am most curious now though about what else I can feed him, he loves the zucchini, but only the peel. I'm just not sure about what other veggies to put in there to let him try, and also wondering about fruits, like sliced apples or melons. Is it safe for me to just start trying things to see what he likes best?

TIA!

CassieLEO
02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
They loooove watermelon rind too!

travelgirl
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh good! We love watermelon!

toddnbecka
02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I have 3 of those in a 75. Aside from the wood (malaysian, mopani, and a couple chunks of domestic too) their staple diet is the same as all my other fish, NLS 1mm Cichlid pellets. They've grown quite well on that diet.

travelgirl
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I got a medium sized chunk of Mopani to put in there, it's soaking now. As soon as it stops turning the water brown, it will go in the tank!

CassieLEO
02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
toddnbecka- Did it take them a long time to figure out to grab them? I tried for a while to get my old pleco to eat them and he would ignore them. I love NLS so I try and feed all my fish that brand. I found they liked the NLS H20 Wafers though!

jessfish
02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
you could also try spinach, apple (soften it in micorwave), mine loves cantelope & i've heard of feeding tomato (i haven't tried but im sure it would be advised to cut out the seeds & stuff)

brocoli was a hit in my tank (the stock & sofened a bit)...but my goldfish wanted it too which caused mr pleco to get a little pissy & i had to take it out LOL

wafers are a good thing to try too...my pleco doesnt go near them & the fish get them so i dont feed that anymore either, but he does go after the left over flakes & pellets

jessfish
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Is it safe for me to just start trying things to see what he likes best?

Ya go nuts! keep in mind veggies go bad quick (especially fruit) so try not to leave them in for a whole day or anything...u ca also google more food ideas but its fun to give them diff things to see what they love & what they hate

travelgirl
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Awesome, I will try him with some apple tonight!

Peru is GORGEOUS, BTW. Beautiful pleco!!

jessfish
02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Awesome, I will try him with some apple tonight!

Peru is GORGEOUS, BTW. Beautiful pleco!!

The apple (today is the 1st day with an apple for him too) not going well LOL...just a heads up

travelgirl
02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Well, mine won't eat any of the zucchini except the skin, so...

We'll never know what they like unless we offer it, though, right?

jessfish
02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
We'll never know what they like unless we offer it, though, right?

Keep trying, even with the zucchini Peru used to do same thing took time before he would eat all of it..if u want to keep trying zucchini u can cut/scoop out a good portion of the inside that he won't eat yet so he mostly gets the skin & a bit of the inside until he either gets used to it..ot doesnt

& true about not knowing what they like until u try it...i battled with that when i started trying diff things - i really wanted him to eat food that i liked because i had it in the fridge anyway - i dont like zucchini or spinach & of course those are the fav's...i rarely buy a bag of spinach (he cant eat an entire bag before it goes bad - although its been a few months since i bough one) but i've gotten used to just buying a bunch of zucchini when i shop

travelgirl
02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Well, so far he turned his nose up at the apple. He's so shy, I always have to leave whatever I'm giving him in the tank overnight because he will not come out of hiding while he can see us. :( Anyhow, I pulled it out and it was untouched.