PDA

View Full Version : Betta fish tank mates

trebor
02-22-2011, 05:41 AM
I have an 80 litre tank with 20 cardinal tetras in - I was hoping to add in a male betta fish in there - would these be suitable tank mates?

Any advice would be appreciated!

~Col~
02-22-2011, 08:02 AM
I doubt it. Betta's can be aggressive to any type of fish, it's touch and go whether they'll attack tank mates. Some live happily and then one day you'll find your tetras gone.

You could probably do a female betta in there. I've seen some lovely ones at my LFS.

Irish2539
02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Try it out but have a backup plan for the betta if it doesnt work.

I had a similar setup with endlers and it worked.

funkman262
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I have my betta in a community tank but it's much larger (90 gal). I also have 20+ cardinals as well as angels and other tetras. My Betta prefers to be nowhere near any of the other fish. He's usually floating at the top around some plant clippings but he'll venture all over the tank, sometimes swimming in and out of the driftwood or just hanging out at the base of some plants. I just don't know if there would be enough room in your tank for the Betta and the other fish to be comfortable together. Also, as Col said, it really depends on the Betta's personality. I have a really laid back betta so it works for me. He would even probably be fine in a smaller tank like yours. However, your betta may not do well in a community in any size tank, or it might be just fine in your tank. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try like Irish said and just closely monitor how all of the fish react to each other and determine if the Betta needs to be pulled out.

gm72
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
We get this kind of question often. It really depends. Some bettas will accept being in a community others will not. No possible way to tell if it will work until you try. You do need to have a backup plan if it doesn't work though.

Lady Hobbs
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't take a chance on "testing" to see how $70 worth of fish might work with a $5 Betta in a smaller tank like that. Most of the time if you have a happy, contented tank t's best to leave it as it is. If you want a Betta, check into a 5-10 gallon tank just for him.

SusanFish
02-27-2011, 06:54 PM
I had a pair of bettas in 80 liter tank only with plecos. The male was very happy , he was building nests all the time and we had babies too. When we bought tetras, he became unhappy and stopped making nests and later he died... we tried to buy another bettas, but it was the same :scry: . I think, that bettas do not like tetras because they move so quickly.

Lab_Rat
02-27-2011, 11:15 PM
My VT betta does well in a tank that has a couple types of tetras and danios and other community fish. He is very laid back though. I've found the VT to be much less aggressive than CT, so I'd recommend trying with a VT if you are going to attempt the mix. Also, as others have said, make sure you have a backup plan.