PDA

View Full Version : Discus Biting

salman
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I have a tank filled with discus and they keep bulling each other and biting each others fins and body. I only have discus in there, but why do they bite each other?

Cal Discus
07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Its called cichlid behavior. Its normal and they will establish a pecking order. As they get older, they will begin mating behavior. Thats why you dont overcrowd your tank. But...you dont just want 2-3 because they will dominate till death from stress most times with low numbers. You want to dispurse agression between 5-6 discus depending on tank size.

salman
07-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I currently have 5 inside my fish tank, but as soon as my LFS gets some new discus, hopefully in 2 days, i will add more to it since the tank looks really empty with only 5 small discus.
So i shouldn't worry about them biting each other?

Thanks for your help.

Fishguy2727
07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
They establish a pecking order. Sometimes the one or two on the bottom need to be removed (I had to pull two of mine out of the original 7, which is why I am down to 5). Mine do this all the time, especially at feeding time. I got a video of it, but my computer does not know how to read the programming from my phone, and I have not found the code for it yet.

Cal Discus
07-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I currently have 5 inside my fish tank, but as soon as my LFS gets some new discus, hopefully in 2 days, i will add more to it since the tank looks really empty with only 5 small discus.
So i shouldn't worry about them biting each other?

Thanks for your help.

You should keep 1 discus per 10g. If you add new ones, QT them for 3-4 weeks to make sure they dont harbor any diseases. Lip locking and picking on each other is nothing to worry about as long as there is no serious damage done. Remember, these discus may grow to 5-6 inches so I wouldnt keep adding unless you have a large tank.

Cal Discus
07-16-2007, 10:19 PM
They establish a pecking order. Sometimes the one or two on the bottom need to be removed (I had to pull two of mine out of the original 7, which is why I am down to 5). Mine do this all the time, especially at feeding time. I got a video of it, but my computer does not know how to read the programming from my phone, and I have not found the code for it yet.
Dont remove the lower order discus unless they have been injured or they are sick because all you have done is started the pecking order over because now there has to be the low man again. if you see one getting the brunt of the agression, arrange the tank differently or seperate the highest aggressor from the bunch for a week or so to give every one a break.

Fishguy2727
07-16-2007, 10:57 PM
The two I removed were always together in the opposite end of the tank from the others' hiding area, weren't growing, and did not look good at all. I removed them and now have no problems. It did not drop another discus to the bottom and then get beat up, now they just chase at about an even level to all of them. I removed them about 9 months ago and have had no problems.

salman
07-16-2007, 11:07 PM
It's not really serious now that i have been looking at them for about an hour. I think they are playing tag or something lol. But when i posted this thread a long time ago, i had about 10 discus and there was serious damage between the largest 2 males. They wouldn't stop fighting! But i took them back to my LFS along with a couple of sick ones 5 days ago. They agreed to exchange them but their new discus will arrive this Wednesday so i will go take a look.
I don't have anything empty except for a 14 gallon which i recently cycled but you said 1 discus should be kept on every 10 gallon. So this isn't going to work. And, i finally have all of my fish healthy. I don't know what to do since i need to go out and pick out my new discus in 2 days. Should i put them all inside the 14 gallon? there might be 6-10 fish depending on which ones i pick. All young ones!

Cal Discus
07-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Sick ones? Why were they sick? No matter what you do at this point, you are going to overstock and take a chance of getting the rest sick with cramped conditions and short QT. Dont order anymore discus, save your pennies and buy yourself a 55g tank (75g would work better). Use your 44g for QT or a forming pair if not being used as QT. With a 55/75g tank, good filtration, frequent large w/c's weekly, you could get away with 8-10 discus fine.

Lady Hobbs
07-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Have you checked to see if eggs have been laid? My angels do so-so together until it's time for spawning and then everyone is fighting!

You could switch the occupants of the 44 to the 86.