PDA

View Full Version : Planted walls in your fish tank

Lady Hobbs
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I was just reading about this and it sounded rather cool.

Glue cork board to the back of your tank and you can just use stick pins to get java moss, ferns or Anubis started and remove the pins when they attach. I'm thinking with brown gravel, this colored cork may look just fine since it's also brown.

Another idea was to glue plastic screen material and attach plants in this manner. This sounds very tedious but the plants will intertwine in the screen and be invisible when full. You want to make sure sides are glued down so fish can't get in behind it and get trapped.

RobbieG
07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I saw something along those lines with moss a while back. I'm thinking of trying it out (or something like it) after I move my tanks around this weekend.

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2007, 02:25 AM
I saw the black cork before too and think that might be cool looking. I just don't know how cork would hold up in water tho.

nanaglen2001
07-11-2007, 04:52 AM
You can stick plants on Styrofoam too, when you use it as a backwall.

I know lots of people who flatten their Mossballs and stick them on stones or roots or backwalls. To prevent it from floating away, and to help the Mossballs or Javamoss to get roots which attaches the plant later on, many people use those hairnets or fishing line. After a while the net vanishes, or you remove it carefully and you have a nice green carpet.

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I was also thinking that a person could use the stuff woman use for pulling yarn thru on products. Comes in sheets, is plastic but has larger holes than regular screen has and more durable. What DO you call that stuff. It's in the craft sections at stores. You do need to make sure it isn't something that might deteriorate later.

TehTANK
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
What about using Egg Crate and filling the holes with plant.....just a thought.....

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Yup. Whatever is used you need to make sure all sides are enclosed so fish can't get in behind it and get trapped tho.

Algenco
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I was also thinking that a person could use the stuff woman use for pulling yarn thru on products. Comes in sheets, is plastic but has larger holes than regular screen has and more durable. What DO you call that stuff. It's in the craft sections at stores. You do need to make sure it isn't something that might deteriorate later.

Needlepoint, don't know what the grid is called. I used it for moss walls in 2 tanks

Rue
07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
We just always called it plastic canvas...