PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia removing media

zackish
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I just purchased a rena xP2 and I saw that you can get "ammonia remover" as a media to put in the baskets. Is this a good idea to use this media or no?

Lady Hobbs
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I think it would be unnecessary as long as you have a cycled tank.

rollie
07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
maybe in a overstock tank. lol

Drumachine09
07-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Last time i went camping/fishing, me and my neighbor bout a 5 dozen goldfish for bait. We put an entire box of ammo-chips in a stocking and put iit int he 35 gallon rubbermaid tub with them, and we didnt lose a single fish in the tub the entire trip. The hourly water changes helped too (its soo much easier when you have a sump pump to do waterchanges XD)

It works GREAT, but its not necassary in a cycled aquarium.

zackish
07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Last time i went camping/fishing, me and my neighbor bout a 5 dozen goldfish for bait. We put an entire box of ammo-chips in a stocking and put iit int he 35 gallon rubbermaid tub with them, and we didnt lose a single fish in the tub the entire trip. The hourly water changes helped too (its soo much easier when you have a sump pump to do waterchanges XD)

It works GREAT, but its not necassary in a cycled aquarium.

I was just wondering if I should do it when adding fish for the first couple weeks just to keep the levels down.

I think I will just stick with my ceramic rings and bio-balls.

Drumachine09
07-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I was just wondering if I should do it when adding fish for the first couple weeks just to keep the levels down.

I think I will just stick with my ceramic rings and bio-balls.

I dont exactly know how it works, but i would say it would rob your nitrifying bacteria of the ammonia that they need to survive. Its really only good/usefull in short term situations, like if you are changing gravel, and have to put your fish in a bucket.

RobbieG
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Most of the products that I have seen that go into filters actually remove the ammonia - Drumachine is right this would be bad for your tank long term.