PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp and Female Betta?

nmb7895
02-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I was thinking of a shrimp, since they seem really adorable and ultra-low matinence

But I have a female betta in my community 10gal. She doesn't bother her tankmates (oto catfish, cory catfish and snail), would she find a Ghost Shrimp delicious, and eat it? She has a varied diet, and I keep her fed.

Usually when I introduce a new species into the aquarium, she stalks it for hours until she figures out it isn't food. She doesn't nip at them, but she usually nudges them, and follows them until she feels they're not a threat or food. But with a shrimp... it kind of is food.

I was thinking of getting between 1-3. Right now my aquarium is on the middle end of being fully stocked, and I still am considering another snail and maybe an ADF (not likely because of my filter, though), so I don't want to just fill the rest of the aquarium up with shrimp.

Can they be kept alone? Or should I opt for 3 or more? What is their bio-load, is it low enough that a largerish number of them wouldn't really do much? There's plenty of hiding spots, and I plan on adding more for my oto, so they will benefit from that also.

Aquarium is already cycled.

KatzeSlaugen
02-19-2011, 04:32 PM
depending on the corys you may find them being the ones eating the shrimp, at least thats how it went in my tank

their bio-load is very very small and ive heard of people keeping 100+ RCS in a 10gal with no other inhabitants. you could very easily try out 6 ghost shrimp. theyre cheap and if they dont get eaten you know your tank will probably be safe for other shrimp

nmb7895
02-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Now that you mention it, they're pretty pushy whenever food happens to hit the bottom. Sometimes they even force the snail into his shell, because they're trying to "clean" him by sticking their barbels into his shell...

I'll try 1, and see if he survives and pick up a few more. They're 50 cents, so it's not like it's a huge investment. If something eats it, it'll just be a treat for them I guess.

nmb7895
02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Plan for today is

- Get 3 Ghosts to test to see if things go alright.

-If they don't... well... a tasty meal for a happy little lady betta and some cute little cories
-If the Ghosts work out for a week, I'm going to get some cherry shrimp.

I told my mom my plan and she thought the ghost shrimp we ugly, so I can't have more than 3 if I want to keep it in the family room. I finally convinced her cherry shrimp are cuter, and she says they're better looking. I'll probably get as many as I can afford of those (probably 4-6)

But I'm still going to test it using ghosts, since cherrys are like 3x the price of ghosts, and as much as I love my betta, she doesn't really need a 1.50 lunch.

Michael Milligan
02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I just put ghost shrimp in with my bettas and they totally ignore them. I think these fish are really only interested in food that can fit in their mouths. They can't bit chunks off like a Piranha.

KatzeSlaugen
02-19-2011, 07:04 PM
my betta demolished ghost shrimp when i put some in to do the test i mentioned. bettas are very different in personality, and mine did go piranha haha. soon as they hit the water the betta followed one around nipping it. i guess it liked what it tasted as it then began biting and thrashing and basically ripping the shrimp up. within about a day the ghost shrimp i had were either ripped up and eaten, or ripped up and laying dead on the bottom

nmb7895
02-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Okay, so ghost shrimp are apparently only 33 cents

So I got 6...

All 6 are safely in the aquarium for a about an hour.

The betta actually did her normal headbutt of a new recruit (she's done this every single time I've put in a new fish), and the new recruit (and his 5 friends huddled together) held up his pincers like a brave soldier, and she let him live. He is spared for now, but she's still very curious about them. If she picks on one that's smaller, or shedding, it might get ugly.

The cories had a slight scuffle where I thought I was going to lose a shrimp. Luckily, the one corie picked the largest of the bunch (which is actually bigger than the cory), and decided to ignore all of them. One brave little soldier decided to challenge a cory for an algae wafer. The cory just flailed a little, and the little critter scurried away.

There's one shrimp, however, that's only about the size of one of my betta's fins. I'm not sure about him, since he can fit in anything's mouth. The others are all about Neon Tetra size, so they seem to be left alone.

I have a good feeling about them, but it seems pretty tense right now, since I think the betta could snap at any second and attack the smallest one. Luckily, the smallest one keeps clinging onto one of the bigger shrimp, so she's left him alone.

They all basically stay huddled together. If they make it a week, I'm going to get 3 or 4 cherry shrimp and have a nice amount of shrimp.

nmb7895
02-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Hang on... are cherrys and ghosts compatible? I'm getting mixed results from Google.

By the way, my petstore also had 2 other kinds of shrimp (besides cherry and ghost)

Something called an "algae eating shrimp" and a "tiger shrimp." What are those?

The tiger shrimp were ultra-tiny and I was thinking they would quickly get eaten, but do they grow bigger? They were colorful and cool looking, and the same price as the cherry shrimp. I may get those if they grow larger than the cherry shrimp.

And what on earth is an "algae eating shrimp." It was pretty large compared to the other shrimp, and the store had like a million of them. They were also the most expensive (2.99 for a shrimp?).

nmb7895
02-20-2011, 01:39 PM
A new day and...

still 6 shrimp thumbs2:

When I first turned the light on, I thought I only had one left, since the biggest shrimp was hanging from a leaf, and no other was in sight.

Found the other 5 were hiding between leaves, and in decorations I had never even seen my fish acknowledge existed. Since they're so much smaller than most of my fish, and since they "walk" they can get into much smaller hiding spots than any of my fish. In between tangled (fake) plants, and in between the stalks of a fake bamboo statue I have

God help me when I add a driftwood cave to the aquarium today, lol. I'm never going to find these little soldiers (who I've affectionatly named the "shrimp army")

So now that I've named them, it'll be even more difficult for me if Lady (my betta's name) goes on a rampage. It takes a lot of my respect to get a name in my aquarium, and so far only Bismark (Oto catfish) and Lady have names. And for their bravery and intelligence in avoiding being eaten, welcome to the exclusive club "Shrimp Army"

korith
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM
The red cherry and ghost shrimp will probably be alright together. Whether the betta takes an interest in the shrimp will depend on the betta's temperament.

nmb7895
02-20-2011, 09:27 PM
So I added a drift wood cave today and re-organized my plants so there's a ton of cover.

I have yet to see the shrimp leave the plants or the cave since they settled into them. The smallest hang out in the cave, while the largest hang out in the plants. It's kind of fun to see the little shimp peak out of the wood, scoop in something into their mouths (I don't know what...) and dart back into the cave. One of these days, the cories are going to want to see the inside of the cave, and that'll be a funny sight to see. They don't seem bothered though, when the neons tetra entered the cave. The oto doesn't seem to bother them at all. One tried to sit on the oto, until the oto did a little flail to knock the shrimp off.

I moved a plant a few minutes ago slightly with the back of my hand while doing something, and 3 shrimp jumped out. I hadn't even noticed they were in the plant! Kind of creepy feeling little hairs on your hand... kind of like spiders.

They're very charming, but they're a little too comfortable with my hand (as I mentioned before, they actually examine my hand with their antenae).
They don't move when my hand gets close to them, so I have to be careful when scrubbing the walls or vacuuming. Is this normal? Shouldn't they scatter? Since when is the bottom of the food chain brave enough to touch a gigantic hand that may or may not want to grab them and shove them in a mouth?

korith
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
They're very charming, but they're a little too comfortable with my hand (as I mentioned before, they actually examine my hand with their antenae).
They don't move when my hand gets close to them, so I have to be careful when scrubbing the walls or vacuuming. Is this normal? Shouldn't they scatter? Since when is the bottom of the food chain brave enough to touch a gigantic hand that may or may not want to grab them and shove them in a mouth?

I've had shrimp take an algae wafer away from a betta! Sometimes they show no common sense at all. They will scatter normally if you move quickly.

Cyberra
02-21-2011, 02:52 AM
*raises eyebrows* I take it Lady is a pretty popular name for a betta... though for mine it's short for "Dark Lady". And she is a curious little critter, comes over to the side of the tank to stare at whatever I happen to be doing.

Is your betta still trying to figure out what these new funny little things are?

nmb7895
02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
*raises eyebrows* I take it Lady is a pretty popular name for a betta... though for mine it's short for "Dark Lady". And she is a curious little critter, comes over to the side of the tank to stare at whatever I happen to be doing.

Is your betta still trying to figure out what these new funny little things are?
Mine got her name because I started calling her "Little Lady" when I fed her (like "come here little lady and get your peas") and it stuck.

No, but she did get so bothered by them trying to drag an algae wafer into the plants, that she actually ate the algae wafer herself, something she has never done before. Usually she picks at it, decides it's nothing worth her time, and lets the cories eat it.

They also like climbing onto the oto while he's resting, have him shoo them off with his tail (kind of funny looking, having him swap his tail back and forth and then adjust), and then have them do it all again for probably 20 minutes. I guess it turned into a game or something? The oto was laying where all the shrimp usually collect, so maybe he was invading their territory. Poor guy just wanted to be left alone so he could sleep in the shade. When he finally moved to go find something to eat, they completely left him alone.

Lady Hobbs
02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Shrimp, to me, is a natural food source. Even my black skirt Tetra's ate them as fast as they were born as now are my neons. The full grown ones are fine but getting the babies to live long enough to grow up is the trick.

nmb7895
02-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Wow... these guys are... hardy to say the least

I was moving them to a new, bigger aquarium yesterday, and one leaped out of the net and fell about 5 feet to a hard wood. He wasn't moving and I assumed he was dead on impact. Until I went to scoop him up to throw him away. He started flailing and hopping around like a grasshopper. I finally catch him in the net and throw him in the aquarium, and he seems like nothing really happened, and he didn't just fall from 5 feet off the ground and lived to tell the tale.

Counting this morning, I still had 6 shrimp. He lived...

Wow...

nmb7895
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh wow, I got 2 very important shrimp related questions

1. I found a shed exoskeleton attached to one of the plastic plants. Do I dispose of of the skin, or do I let something eat it? What does a "nude" shrimp look like, and how long does molting take? I didn't find a shrimp that looked different, but I'm not worried about it being eaten. There's plenty of hiding spots for it.

2. ONE OF MY SHRIMP IS PREGNANT! What do I do? I don't want more shrimp, will the betta/cories/tetra eat the baby shrimp for me? I guess if 1 or 2 survive that'd be okay, but I've never had something breed in my aquarium so I'm not sure what to do. When the shrimp lays the babies, should I not feed my fish that day so they'll snack on the babies?

Cyberra
02-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I myself don't keep shrimp, but what I've read tells me that anything and everything should eat the baby shrimp if they're left in the main tank

nmb7895
02-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Cool, that's what I want.