PDA

View Full Version : New bristlenose

hookem2010
02-19-2011, 04:25 AM
I just got a bristlenose pleco for the first time. It's maybe an inch long, and is in a 30g long tank with some dwarf rainbows, emperor tetras, and a pair of angels. I was just wondering how to go about feeding it. The tank has slight algae growth, but I figure I should provide additional food. I've heard vegetables like zucchini stuck on a fork are a good idea, but i don't know how often or how much to feed them. Thanks.

KatzeSlaugen
02-19-2011, 04:39 AM
mine go crazy for zucchini, cucumber, and cantelope. forks make very good weights for veggies! i give my guys some sort of veggie/fruit twice a week. i put it in at night and take whats left out in the morning. if you dont want to be reaching into the tanks you can do what i do. take the handle of your fish fork (fork designated for feeding fish) and drill a hole in the handle. then i simply tie some fishing line to it with a triline knot. then on end thats going to be sticking out of the tank for you to grab add a little bit of weight to keep the line from falling in.

has worked great for me so far

hookem2010
02-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks katze. I thought the little guy(or girl, no visible bristles) was dead for a second tonight, but it turns out the water in my tank was a little high, and the back part of the lid was contacting the water. I thought she was floating upside down, but she was just sucking on the lid.

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Mine like algae pellets but also eats much of what the fish eats. Shrimp flakes, dried shrimp, cichid veggie pellets, etc.

troy
02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
If you cook the zucchini first it will sink and be much easier for the bristlenose to eat it.

traxiii
02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I wrap mine to rocks with rubber bands, just sayin'.

jessfish
02-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Veggie clips with a suction cup are great too...sticks right to the side of the tank & easy to put in & take out