PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gallon Long Stocking Idea

raulfd4
02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I moved to a new state and tore down my old tank. I am now in the process of re-setting up and considering stocking options.

I was thinking of doing a heavily planted tank with plenty of bogwood.

While looking around, I really like the idea of having a bunch of microrasboras. Although, after doing a brief search on google, I can't find a good place to buy them.

I have also never kept any bottom-dwelling fish, so I was thinking about adding some otocinclus catfish OR a school of small cories. Are there any other cories besides panda cories that stay small?

I used to have a female betta and really liked it, but I don't know if eating the microrasboras would be a problem.

I have also always wanted a pair of dwarf gourami , but again the microrasboras are small and might get eaten.

So, I guess I was thinking:

4-6 otos OR 4-6 small cories
1 betta OR 2 dwarf gourami
~ microrasboras

What do you think? Thoughts on where to buy microrasboras? Thoughts on SMALL otos or cories? Which is better?

Fisharefriends27
02-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Pygmy cories. Go with 5-6 so they are happier. I like cories alot.
I suggest
6 small type of pygmies stay an inch
7 or so microrasboras
1 dg but I wouldn't want one.
One big school looks better than a couple little schools. I'm not an expert on bettas or DG's

Taurus
02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
4-6 otos < Bad idea for a new tank. A new tank has no algae on which they can feed. I've never been successfull in getting otos to eat algae wafers.

raulfd4
02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Any ideas on where to get microrasboras?

Thanks for the tip on pygmy cories. 6 of them in a 20 long wouldn't be crowding the floor space?

raulfd4
02-18-2011, 07:58 PM
4-6 otos < Bad idea for a new tank. A new tank has no algae on which they can feed. I've never been successfull in getting otos to eat algae wafers.

Agreed. I should have mentioned that they would be a later addition.

Taurus
02-18-2011, 08:03 PM
http://msjinkzd.com/

VTAeries
02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

Shipping can be a bit steep, but I'm thinking about micros too and this is the only place I've found so far.

Sandz
02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
4-6 otos OR 4-6 small cories
1 betta OR 2 dwarf gourami
~ microrasboras

I dont see this stock working. Dwarf Gourami are subject to aggression on each other. 1 would be more appropriate. A school of 10 microrasbora would not be a bad thing with him. I dont think you are looking to get anything small than Normans Lampeye's right?

What type of microrasboras are you looking for? Narrow wedge, galaxy, etc?

I also dont see a 20 gallon tank supporting 4 oto's unless its filthy with algae. 1 cleaned my 10 gallon tank in 2 days like a spit shine. It is possible but I think its kind of a pipe dream.

Suggested stocking:

10 microrasbora of your choice
1 Guarami
5-6 pigmy cory's (once the tank is established), you can try 3-4 oto's at that time if you wish but I still dont think 20 gallons is a good enviroment for oto's.

I think this would be almost overstocked if not already overstocked but with good filtration and regular water changes it could be successful.

raulfd4
02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the links, folks.

I need to do more research on microsrasboras to choose which one I like. If you know a place where i could find a good list of all the different types, that would be awesome.

I didn't really know much about otos when I started this thread, so I have decided against them now that you've enlightened me.

I'll let you know what I end up going for. The wife is still giving me a hard time about where I want to place the tank. We'll see how it goes.

Taurus
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Excellent stocking plan Sandz. :ssmile:

Suggested stocking:

10 microrasbora of your choice
1 Guarami
5-6 pigmy cory's (once the tank is established).