PDA

View Full Version : cleaner for friends goldfish tank

kimmers318
04-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Since I am not a goldfish keeper...about all I know is they prefer cooler water and the one I had YEARS ago ate all of my tetras....I am going to ask the experts..yep, that would be you guys!
My girlfriend has a 55 gallon with 4 large goldfish.....yes I have told her she has too many....these guys are HUGE, like around 7-8 inches, and can barely move. She also had a large common pleco, which I talked her into giving to us for the 90 gallon. He is about 11 inches, the tank was onlly 12 inches wide and he was really oversized in there, esp. with the goldfish. Can you guys recommend a smaller cleaner/algae eater that would be safe with the goldfish? They don't keep the tank much higher than room temp, and they miss the cleaning up that plecy did for them.

Full3R
04-30-2006, 03:08 PM
you can by small sucking catfish that dont get much bigger then 3 inches

rollie
04-30-2006, 03:09 PM
weather loach but can grow to 24 inches in length. why not get another smaller plec . there is one called algea eater plus one called otocinlus. these might help, but can you find a big one, anywhere. some type of catfish might help.

kimmers318
05-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Okay, can any of the suggestions make it with cooler temps? The otos I think would be too small and get eaten by the goldfish Rollie.

Full3R
05-01-2006, 11:35 AM
how bigs an oto and how big are these goldfish coz my biggest goldfish which was like 6 inches coulndt swallow a danios

rollie
05-01-2006, 11:58 AM
you can get gaint otos, nephew have one 6 inches, might be hard to find. as far as heat go, if the plec was living with the goldfish then most others can. plec need heat. weather loach do not need heat. i do not know all that much, when it come to kinds of cold water fish. sorry.

kimmers318
05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
These guys are probably around 7-8 inches. I had a smaller one (once!) that ate all of the tetras I put in there with it. These guys have already had 2 aquatic frogs "disappear" from the tank, so it was either plecy or the goldfish! My biggest concern for her would be the cooler temps....we are talking maybe 72-74. I, like you Rollie, don't know much about cold water fish, so here I am asking for her!

rollie
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
tropical fish can and do live and do good in 72 to 74f. all of my tanks go from 70 to 75 f. so any fish would live with them. as far as that go.