PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Undergravel Filter

Kieran123
02-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Hello.
My Dad and I have just bought a axolotl, and an "Hagen ClearFlow" Undergravel" filter with a "Mouse M-104 Air Pump".I've set it up as best as I can tell from the instructions, but i'm not sure it's corrrect and I want our new pet to be happy and healthy, I have provided some images.
If anyone could tell me if this is right or not it would be greatly apprectiated!
Also if it's wrong could you please tell me what I am doing wrong.
:help:
Also if these pictures aren't informative enough post a reply of what you need and I'll upload more photos.
http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy126/Eternal_Illusion_93/IMG_0245.jpg

Lady Hobbs
02-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Those are for fish bowls, not fish tanks. Right?

Never mind. I see they make them for 10 gallon tanks. Where is the rest of the tubing? It should come to the top of the tank with a place to put some filter media in it. You also need another filter. This will never be enough on a tank to filter and oxygenate. I'd return it to the store and get an AquaClear 50.

Fishguy2727
02-18-2011, 02:20 PM
What are you putting in the tank? (Why is the water so low?)

Kieran123
02-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the advice with the pump!
But i'm not sure exactly what you mean by what more there should be.

This is all that came in the box and shows on the instructions, but alternatively to the exhaust caps there is 2 carbon cartridges that can replace them, but i looked it up and from what i read they're not very good for the long run...

@Fishguy2727, we just have a single axolotl (mexican walking fish), the amount of water in the tank should suffice for just 1 fist should it not?
Note; She is in the bottom right corner. ;)

Fishguy2727
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Sand is ideal for them, they can swallow gravel and become impacted.

You can fill the tank all the way for an axolotl, they are completely aquatic. Mine is in a 75 and has no problems. More volume means higher water quality and more stable parameters.

I consider a 20long to be minimum size for an adult axolotl.

There should be an article on here somewhere I wrote all about axolotls, and I wrote another one that will be published in TFH magazine, so if you have any questions let me know.

ridgerunrbunny
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Not much of a response for you. I just recently purchased an under gravel filter for a 10 gallon tank I have had for many years. I decided to start having fish again. Anyway, I got a kit from a seller on ebay. the filter itself look like any other undergravel setup but this kit had a power head that ariates and filters the water. I really love the power behind the power head, it sucks up water that flows through the gravel then spits it out with a really good flow and multitudes of bubbles. I wish I could find more on this type apparatus on the net but have not had much luck. I just purchased a 30 gallon tank and want either the very same thing or something similar to it.
Bunny

smaug
06-23-2011, 01:27 AM
zombie thread.His question was answered.

ridgerunrbunny
06-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Not for me it wasn't. I don't know how a DIY one should work either.

Trillianne
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Its probably best to make your own post for your own questions though.

This page may help you better understand how different types (including undergravel) work.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/filtration.php

mermaidwannabe
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Forget the undergravel filter, entirely. Go with a hang-on-back filter like an AquaClear. Get one that is rated for at least twice the gallonage of your tank.

Undergravel filters can trap waste and debri beneath the filter plate, and the only way to clean there is to tear the tank completely down.

With an AC hob, all you need to do is rinse the filter media in tank water when the flow starts to decrease (means media is clogged or filter itself is clogged), which is very easy to do. If the filter clogs, take it apart and clean with filter brushes. A prefilter sponge over the intake tube (the one that draws water up into the filter) should prevent pieces of plant matter and other debri from clogging the filter in the first place. Then, you would need only to rinse that sponge occasionally along with the main basket media.

I would return that UGF to the store and invest in an AC hob. You'll be glad you did.

-- mermaidwannabe

ridgerunrbunny
06-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Forget the undergravel filter, entirely. Go with a hang-on-back filter like an AquaClear. Get one that is rated for at least twice the gallonage of your tank.
-- mermaidwannabe

I have 3 already. I like the power of the undergravel and would like to duplicate that power, perhaps with something like it.

I would return that UGF to the store and invest in an AC hob. You'll be glad you did.
-- mermaidwannabe

No thanks, but if you have a suggestion for in interior filter let me know.

Fishguy2727
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Why do you only want an internal filter?

Just be aware that most likely the UGF will bring you and your fish more problems than benefits long term.

andrew15
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with you.

Why do you only want an internal filter?

Just be aware that most likely the UGF will bring you and your fish more problems than benefits long term.

Online Diploma (http://www.sandfordhighschool.com/)