PDA

View Full Version : Sick Betta need help

tkappy
02-18-2011, 03:45 AM
I have a male betta that was very healthy, then he started sitting at the bottom, then was floating at the top, stopped eating and whenever he tried to swim to the bottom he just floated back up. I noticed half of his dorsal fin (?) was gone and thought is was possibly fin rot. Since he was having difficulty swimming I moved him to a small tank will a low water level. Since he wasn't eating I ruled out swim bladder, treated him with kanaplex according to the directions. Which was 1x every two days for three treatments. Mr betta got better, so I moved him back to the 3 gallon tank and within 4 days he started getting sick again. I do not want to treat him again until I get some advice.

Before putting Mr Betta back in 3 gallon tank I completely cleaned it, left the gravel out, put 1 silk plant in and changed the small world filter. Yesterday I switched the filters back to the tetra.

3 gallon tank

Filtered - started out using tetra whisper (2 months) and switched to small world (1 month). After a month is when I started having problems. I do have 3 other tanks setup the same way with male bettas and just started noticing problems with fin rot on all three.

Heated to 80
I do a 50% water change every other day.
PH is 7
ammonia levels stay right around 0
I vacuum the tank weekly.

I have well water and the PH level is over 8, so I use 4 gallons softened reverse osmosis water and 1 gallon well water. This gets the ph level down.

I use tetra water conditioner, aquasol (for preventative) and atison's clear almond.

Michael Milligan
02-18-2011, 04:13 AM
Just like in people, loss of appetite could be caused by all kinds of internal problems. I can't see any outward signs of illness other than the extreme wait loss. It looks like your fish has been sick for a while. :(

Flare
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Is he still alive? He looks on deaths door in those pictures :( I would say, based on the pictures, that he has an internal parasite infection. Look how skinny he is. Parasites will take any nutrition supplied to the fish and keep it for themselves. So the fish won't be getting any food or nutrition. If he's still alive, turn up his heat to about 86 degrees, but do it slowly so you don't stress him out. Add some aquarium salt (1 tsp/gallon) and get some sort of parasite treatment and dose as advised on the box.

I hope he pulls through!

tkappy
02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for trying to help.

lotus flower
02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I had a 3-gallon with a SmallWorld filter in it, too. They are, for lack of a better word, crap. Utter crap. They clog and then the water doesn't circulate properly, plus you have to remove the entire cartridge and not just the media if this happens.

I ended up using one of the larger Penn Plax cartridge filters concurrently (it sticks on the side of the tank with suction cups). I just switched to a bigger 10-gallon tank because the 3-gallon was too hard to keep clean. My fish is much happier there. 3-gallons are really tricky, because you have to put a lot of work into them every few days to keep them clean.

I hope he pulls through, but I've never seen a betta that sick before. I agree that it's probably some internal parasite. Have you tried the medicated food? It may be a moot point if he's lost his appetite, but if you can get him to eat, it might help. I don't know if there's an anti-parasitic variety of that, though...might just be antibiotics, which doesn't look like it will help.

If all your fish have fin-rot, then they've all got water quality problems in their tanks. You may want to step up water changes, add a more powerful filter/switch to a larger tank, and obviously treat with an antibiotic for the fin-rot.

Best of luck to you and the fishies. Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Fisharefriends27
02-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Sorry about your loss.

Cyberra
02-21-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your betta