PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Honey Sunset Gouramis?

Bill M.
07-09-2007, 12:01 AM
As of now, I have a male HSG, and a female HSG in my 29g and 10 g/quarantine respectivley. As soon as the quarantine period is over, I will be putting the female in the tank with the male. I am not nessicarily attempting to breed them, but if it happens, SWEET! How breedable are these fish? Any opinions/experiences??

Drumachine09
07-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I know abbeys mom has breed them. Ask her, but she hasnt been on here in a while.

zackish
07-10-2007, 03:40 PM
You also need to realize that when breeding fish you usually need better conditions then normal. I.E. constant temperature all the time, really healthy water etc. etc. If it's just a quarantine tank and you don't plan I keeping them in there for long I don't know if they will breed.

Bill M.
07-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Nah, they'll be in my 29. It has constant 79 degree water, 99% of the time, and I change 50% of the tank voulume every week. I also have a HOB Aquatec and an Eheim Canister... My tank should be plenty filtered...

zackish
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Nah, they'll be in my 29. It has constant 79 degree water, 99% of the time, and I change 50% of the tank voulume every week. I also have a HOB Aquatec and an Eheim Canister... My tank should be plenty filtered...

I don't know if other fish come in to play when fish want to breed. Maybe the presence of the other fish in the tank will make them not want to breed. I am sure you can find plenty of info. on the net if you look around.

Nolapete
07-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Breeding honey sunset gouramis is no different than breeding dwarfs, 3 spots, pearls, moonlights, and thick-lipped.

Condition your pair until the male colors up and starts blowing a bubble nest. At this point, you can move the pair to the ten gallon tank described below. You can move the male first to give him a chance to get a bubble nest going, but it's not necessary.

They are all easy to set up to breed in a ten gallon tank. Put two to three inches of water in an empty 10 gallon tank, add some plant material like cabomba leaves, and put a glass top on the tank. I've found it easiest to put the tank in a rubbermaid tub with 3-4 inches of water and then use a heater to raise the temp to 82-84 degrees.

Once they spawn, remove the female and put her in your QT tank to heal up from any torn fins she may have. The male will tend to the eggs and blow them into his bubble nest until they hatch. He'll still tend to them after they hatch, but at this point you can remove him. Raise the water level in the tank to half way full and add a small sponge filter. Don't turn up the air too high as the fry will get sucked into the sponge. Feed small portions frequently and siphon off any remaining food and debris. Change 50% of the water every other day being careful not to siphon off fry.

While most gouramis, except giants, kissing, and chocolates, are easy to breed, the fry are extremely tiny and difficult to raise. Infusoria, liquid fry food, and powdered flake food can be fed until they can take newly hatched brine shrimp.

Algenco
07-11-2007, 12:48 AM
With the filtration on that tank you will probably have more surface agitation than the male will like. Gourami's are bubble nester's than need calm water. Cut the top off of a styrofoam cup ( you want a floating ring) this will give the male a place to build his nest. If he is mature and ready to breed he will be blowing bubbles for a nest. Condition the female in the quarantine tank, when she looks plump put her in with the male. He should begin dancing for her,attempting to lure her near the nest . During spawning the male will fold his body around the female. As they sink they will roll over, at this point the eggs are released and the male will gather them and put in the nest.

Make sure you have plenty of places for the female to hide. When spawning is complete remove the female to another tank, the male can get quite rough.

Raising the young: You will need green water for them to eat for the first week or so. Also you need a tight fitting cover to keep out drafts They are labyrinth fish and need to surface for air to form the labyrinth properly if the air is cooler than the water most will die.