PDA

View Full Version : Jenn's 5.5G Pico Reef

MCHRKiller
02-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Thought I would make a thread for the build since I placed an order for the necessary supplies this evening :11:

Lighting: Current Nova Extreme 2x18watt HOT5 10K & 420nm Actinic
Filtration: AC 50 loaded with 6.5oz ChemiPure Elite, small media bag of Kent Reef Carbon and 1/2 of a Polyfilter pad
Circulation: Rio Mini 50 Powerhead
Substrate: Went with something a big different and got a 5lb bag of CaribSea Pacific Black sand, I will probably mix in a lb or two of plain aragonite and a lb or two of actual live sand.

Web pic of the sand if anyone cares:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61A0wBWjJbL._SS500_.jpg

I also moved the tank to my office today and have it full of saltwater with just the filter going. I used store bought RO water and will continue to do so since I dont want to be bothered with having to mess with running water throught the RODI and toting it to work when I can swing by the store and pick up a gallon or two for less than a dollar.

I expect to have sand and circulation going mid next week...I will probably order the Live rock around the first of March. Im probably just going to go with Live Rock USA or get some Premium Fiji from LiveAquaria. :11:

DylanisHawttt
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Can't wait to see the Pico in action! thumbs2:

Demjor19
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Very exciting! I have a 2.5 Gal pico myself, so i will be watching the build! thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice nice can't wait to see things get going!

Any plans for stocking?

Tigerbarb
02-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Yay! I can't wait to see pics of the finished product :19:

MCHRKiller
02-18-2011, 03:34 AM
I may just go for the standard pico clown goby, its an inexpensive easy little fish that would be fine for the tank. The tank will be at my work so I wont be there with it every day, and during the summer 3-4days per week tops. I had considered Trimma cana as they grow to less than an inch but they require multiple feedings per day. I may just do inverts only but I would like a single small fish of some sort.

MCHRKiller
09-01-2011, 04:12 AM
It took quite some time to get this tank project off the ground, I wound up not liking the sand...so I went for plain aragonite. The Current fixture was also damaged in transit so I got a refund and decided to try an Odyssea fixture. It is just a 24watt PC so I will be limited to mushroom corals. However I have decided to make this tank look like a "fuge" it will have lots of macro and a few mushrooms. For stock I am leaning toward a yellow clown goby or maybe just a single fireshrimp. I have about 10lbs of figi rock and an AC50 going right now. May add a small pump down the line. The tank has been sat up and going with rock for about 3 months. Im ready to start stocking soon :11:

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MCHRKiller/DSC_0595.jpg

MCHRKiller
10-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Odyssea fixture's ballast shot its last wad...it is dead. Sucks because I really actually liked the fixture, oh well....Current T5 here we come :11: