PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with plants

Ticklemekevin10
02-17-2011, 04:34 AM
hey guys, ive been running co2 in my tank for a few weeks now. my narrow java ferns have always had these little tiny holes along with browning. do i need to trim them all or should i be dosing with something? also my new vals are turning transparent and so are my floating pennywort. my new swrod has some brownish yellow spots on them now too.

Im pretty new to plants still so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

do it for the kids! haha

rich311k
02-17-2011, 11:46 AM
How much light do you have? Are you adding ferts at all? What type of CO2 are you using?

gm72
02-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a lack of light and/or nutrients but as suggested we do need to know how your tank is set up to properly diagnose the situation.

Ticklemekevin10
02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Sorry, it is low light. I was using aqueon plant food but ran out. I want to get some flourish but wanted to find out what kind I should get first...

Ticklemekevin10
02-17-2011, 03:33 PM
And co2 is diy yeast about 1 bubble every 2 seconds

Adrian
02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
By low light, are you using incandscent or flourescent? Also, without proper lighting, co2 really isn't needed. Upwards of 3 watts per gallon, then the use of co2 can be beneficial.

Also, with co2 yeast systems, you may have lowered your ph in the tank, depending on the size of the tank, as co2 turns into an acid. I would up your lighting first, then worry about co2 later.

Flourish is a good supplement. How long has your tank been running? What type of substrate do you have, all these things factor in with live plants.

Ticklemekevin10
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
T8 the tank has been going for about 8 months. Yes I know the ph has changed. It was pretty high before at about 7.8. Now it's been around 7.2. The substrate is just regular gravel rock. The plants will be going into my new 90 gal soon which will have medium to high lighting with t5's. And I will be going to pool filter soon and possibly some flourish substrte mixed in.

I assumed the new plants were atleast partly due to new water condition but I'm but my ferns have always been a little holy. Btw It does grow new leaves too if that helps at all

BrandonBCA
02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Often new plants will lose their leaves as they adjust to the new water chemistry/lighting situation. The important factor is if new growth is seen. If you are seeing new leaves, then the plant is simply adjusting to its new situation. If no new leaves, either your light, CO2 or nutrients are low. Low light grows generally don't need supplemental nutrition, or CO2. However, CO2 can be beneficial even in low light since it will allow your plants to focus more energy on utilizing available light than collecting carbon for its growth. Java fern is a poor competitor so if there are better competitors drawing nutes it will suffer dramatically. Any wisteria, established swords, or other strong competitors? Potassium would be my first nutritional supplement, in VERY small amounts once a week.(It's difficult to test for potassium without a colorimeter or spectrophotorimeter....more than the average and above average aquarist has available.) Ask your water district for a chemical analysis of your water chemistry, and how often it changes if you wish to follow E.I. method, or buy commercial supplements and dose conservatively and wait for results.