PDA

View Full Version : Brown Jelly Disease

Cliff
02-16-2011, 02:48 AM
I lost a coral to what I believe was brown jelly disease this past Sunday. It was a torch coral that I bought two weeks ago. There was one head that was damaged a little. On Friday that head was not looking good. On Saturday it looked like someone was picking at the damaged head. Come Sunday morning the whole torch coral was deflated and covered in brown slime. All the other corals in that ½ of the tank looked really stressed.

I took infected coral out of the tank, did a 50% water change and changed the carbon I had in the tank.

After about 20 minutes, everything but my frogspawn corals looked OK again. It’s now been two days. My frogspawn looks OK, but they are just not extending like before .

As brown jelly disease is a type of Bactria infection, it can spread very fast. I’ve read about treating with iodine and / or vitamin C, but I don’t think that would be a good idea unless any other corals are showing signs of infection. Other that larger and more frequent water changes for the next two weeks, is there anything else that I should be doing ?

Water Parameters:
0 ammonia, nitrite, and phosphates. About 0.5 ppm of nitrate, dKH just over 9, Cal just under 400. My SW LFS double checked my parameters as well. I wanted to make sure my test kits weren’t giving me bad readings. I needed to rule out bad water quality as the cause.