PDA

View Full Version : Feeding healthy betta peas

nmb7895
02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Can I feed a healthy female betta peas to keep her regular? She's not constipated, but I like to give her a varied diet, and I was thinking of adding a pea to her rotation of food.

I fed her one covered in garlic last week, and this week she ate it like crazy (even though it's not covered in garlic).

That's not going to hurt her, right?

CassieLEO
02-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Nah, its not going to hurt her. She will be nice and regular LOL!!!!

Sandz
02-16-2011, 12:53 AM
That is actually a great idea and could even save the Betta's life one day. Betta's are very susseptable to blockages and constipation.

Cyberra
02-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Fresh peas or frozen peas? I've heard that the skins should be removed first, true? >> I have seven bettas, and though they all seem regular now, it's something I'd like to know for later.

nmb7895
02-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Fresh peas or frozen peas? I've heard that the skins should be removed first, true? >> I have seven bettas, and though they all seem regular now, it's something I'd like to know for later.
I've been giving her fresh peas, splitting them in half and just scooping out the insides of the pod and giving her that. Usually only 1 or 2 peas, depending on their size in the pod.

3 pea pods is 7 cents at the grocery store.

CassieLEO
02-16-2011, 01:16 AM
So do you squish them or put them in whole>? (the insides of the pea after you peel the skin off?)

nmb7895
02-16-2011, 01:22 AM
So do you squish them or put them in whole>? (the insides of the pea after you peel the skin off?)
I've been squishing them to make them look more like worms.

It doesn't seem to matter though to her, she practically jumps out of the water when a piece gets close to the water line.

Do peas taste like delicious meat to a fish or something? If the pea falls out of her mouth, another fish bravely tries to grab it, like it's some kind of delicious treat worth risking to get.

Cyberra
02-16-2011, 04:43 AM
I'll add peas to my shopping list. Though none of them actually need it right now... I'm forever astonished at how much poo Dark Lady and Quicksilver produce in just a couple of days. *has two female bettas in one tank, and has to clean out the poo every three to four days*

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
When I did that, I bought frozen peas, blanched them for a minute in the microwave them squished them over the tank with my fingers. But what I found works better is soaking some fish pellets in garlic juice, letting them dry completely and feeding those pellets now and then. Also if you don't want a constipated fish, allow it to fast one day a week to get itself cleaned out.