PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf or Honey?

Jakaris
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I just bought these guys, and while they had them labeled as Dwarf, I'm not quite sure if their not Honey Gouramis, which were right next to them in another tank. This picture is made of 2 photos, the first with no flash, the second with flash.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2581/hgbd7.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hgbd7.jpg)
Any help is appreciated.

troy
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Googled it. They look like honey gouramis.

Lady Hobbs
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Isn't that a Fire gourami?

Red Fire Gourami is often confused with theFire Honey Gourami and I frankly am not sure between the two myself.

Jakaris
07-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Supposedly dwarfs are shy and honeys arent, and these guys are most definatelly NOT shy.... I had to move soemthing, and they were checking out my hand the whole time. Plus, their right at the glass looking at me like puppies :D

RobbieG
07-08-2007, 11:19 PM
You could always just call it a dwarf sunset flame honey fire gourami!

Bill M.
07-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Supposedly dwarfs are shy and honeys arent, and these guys are most definatelly NOT shy.... I had to move soemthing, and they were checking out my hand the whole time. Plus, their right at the glass looking at me like puppies :D

haha.. that they are not! When I was chasing down my clown loaches for the transfer, the HSG *Honey Sunset Gourami* kept going inside the net. Every time I stick my hand in the tank, like yours, he comes and picks on my arm like he's getting to have some major fun... what a goof...

YaYgoldFish
07-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Its a honey FOR SURE. Almost all dwarf (males) have some blue on them.

Wallyfish
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I have to agree that this definately is a sunset gourami.

Lady Hobbs
07-10-2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.timstropicals.com/FreshwaterFish/Gourami/DwarfGourami.asp

This explains the differences between the Fire and the Honey.

zackish
07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I would say a sunset or royal flame.

Nolapete
07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Looks like a highly inbred honey sunset strain. Dwarves have more of a crescent shaped abdomen than honeys. The throat is distinctly different too.

BTW, whomever said that dwarves were shy and honeys aren't. It's the opposite. Honeys are the shy ones.

Jakaris
07-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Well, if thats a honey, then mine arent. The male is always there when I feed, if i stick my finger in he will come up and check it out with his feelers, then will swim around it a few times. The females a bit shyer, but even shes really inquisitive and active.

Nolapete
07-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, if thats a honey, then mine arent. The male is always there when I feed, if i stick my finger in he will come up and check it out with his feelers, then will swim around it a few times. The females a bit shyer, but even shes really inquisitive and active.

When honeys were introduced into the aquarium trade, they were one of the shyest gouramis and in comparison to dwarves they were really shy. The ones produced now for the aquarium trade aren't that shy. Individual fish display different temperaments as well.

Bill M.
07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Looks like a highly inbred honey sunset strain. Dwarves have more of a crescent shaped abdomen than honeys. The throat is distinctly different too.

BTW, whomever said that dwarves were shy and honeys aren't. It's the opposite. Honeys are the shy ones.

Hah.. try telling that to my honey's..... Whenever I stick my hand in the tank, they always come and peck at my hand and swim through my fingers.... even when I put a net into the tank, they actually swim into the net... I've caught them while trying to get another fish, and had to dump em out....So...mr.... expert on gouramis.... your wrong... hehe... jk jk

Nolapete
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
It's really not the case now with either. The honeys available in the aquarium trade today are nothing like the honeys that were available when the statement about honeys was initially made. Wild C. chuna are very shy.