PDA

View Full Version : Gar from Missouri River

missouri_gar
07-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm probably not the aquarium enthusiast that all of you are. I wish I had more time and money for it. My pride and joy is just a 10g with 3 blind cave tetras and a few other pigment-less fish.

When the Missouri River flooded in St. Louis, MO this spring, I was wandering down by the edge of the flood waters and noticed a very small, elongated fry. To make a long story short, they were gar. I raised several over a few months (not in the tank with the other fish I own), and I now have 2 that are about 8 inches long.

I think that they are both shortnose gar, based on some descriptions I've read. One source said that they rarely exceed 2 feet in length. (The fish did not have features characteristic of the other 3 of Missouri's 4 gar species.)

I've read as much as possible in aquarium forums, etc. on the internet in an attempt to make a good choice. I know these gar will grow up to a foot or more in a year, and they're already 8 inches. (I keep them well fed with both minnows and small goldfish.) I see that the recommendation for tank size is often "as big as you can afford." Any recommendations that any of you have would be much appreciated. I have no prior experience with gar and have NO desire to see them suffer an inadequate environment. I guess what I'm looking for is some relationship between the size of a fish and the size aquarium it should have - preferably something more than "whichever tank is the biggest."

If I cannot give them the habitat they need, I will take them back to the Missouri River. My Bachelor's is Biology, so I'm well aware of the consequences - legal and ecological - of dumping unwanted pets, but the gar came from the Missouri River to begin with. They'll just go back.

Opinions?

Anyone ever had experience with something other than what you can find in a pet shop?

Drumachine09
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow, someone who not only admits they cant keep gar, but actually knows how wrong it is to release them back into the wild. This is a welcome change.

Try zoos or pet shops, thats about all i got.

missouri_gar
07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow, not the most pleasant response.

It's not that I can't keep the gar. It's a matter of how practical it is if they're going to be gigantic. What's ideal for a 1-2ft. long fish?

Anyone without an attitude? Anyone? Anyone who won't attack every newbie who enters the forum?

Drumachine09
07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Wow, not the most pleasant response.

That was a compliment, but feel free to perceive it as you wish.

It's not that I can't keep the gar. It's a matter of how practical it is if they're going to be gigantic. What's ideal for a 1-2ft. long fish?

i would say in the ball park of 200-300 gallons

Anyone without an attitude? Anyone? Anyone who won't attack every newbie who enters the forum?
Now whos being the hypocrite?

Nuff said...

missouri_gar
07-08-2007, 05:43 PM
200-300 gallons? Ok. Thanks for the information. That's what I was looking for.

fishista
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
wow... I live near the Mediterranean... only amazing thing I see there cause I haven't learned to scuba yet are big nasty jellyfish :) they don't sell those in a pet shop

Fishfool @ The Reef Tank (http://thereeftank.com)

Demjor19
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Can you get any pictures of these gar? if they are indeed shortnose they will more than likely be fine in a 6 x 2 x 2 tank. i have a shortnose that is roughly 3 years old and is around the 16-17 inch mark.

Gar (shortnose and longnose mostly) have a bad habit of darting around in too large of tanks and they can often times break their backs in doing so. you want to provide them with enough room to be comfy, but not too much room.

if you need to rehome them PM me and maybe we can make arrangements. i would be glad to give them a good home.

Edit: here is a crappy pic of my Shortnose...i know it's not the same size, but it will still represent the same snout & head proportions.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN7248.jpg

Halelorf
06-16-2008, 04:17 PM
This thread is almost a year old, the poster probably hasn't been back since shortly after they posted.

Demjor19
06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
This thread is almost a year old, the poster probably hasn't been back since shortly after they posted.

lol...I SEE. somebody bumped the thread and i thought it was new.

Halelorf
06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
lol...I SEE. somebody bumped the thread and i thought it was new.

:c12: It's ok I thought it was new too until I did a double check on the dates because I thought I remembered this thread.

Evil Slimy
06-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Still valid though. Now there's more info and a great picture of a short nose gar for next time someone does a search.

Demjor19
06-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Still valid though. Now there's more info and a great picture of a short nose gar for next time someone does a search.

good point.

thanks,

I have been planning on starting a thread with some basic info and pictures of all 7 of the gar species (i have kept 5 out of the 7 so far) and am friends with several who keep the 2 that i dont have.. I would like to include size, proper diet, tankmates, and any other info i can think of. There seems to be many misconceptions about gar and i would like to what i can to better inform people about them.

Halelorf
06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
good point.

thanks,

I have been planning on starting a thread with some basic info and pictures of all 7 of the gar species (i have kept 5 out of the 7 so far) and am friends with several who keep the 2 that i dont have.. I would like to include size, proper diet, tankmates, and any other info i can think of. There seems to be many misconceptions about gar and i would like to what i can to better inform people about them.

You should do a primer like Dave did with barbs and such. That would be awesome help to anyone coming here to look for gar info.

OscarFan
06-16-2008, 07:14 PM
That would be great.. Ive been looking for some info on gars.

Demjor19
06-16-2008, 07:23 PM
You should do a primer like Dave did with barbs and such. That would be awesome help to anyone coming here to look for gar info.

I'm not sure what a primer is, but it sounds cool?

Demjor19
06-16-2008, 07:24 PM
That would be great.. Ive been looking for some info on gars.

I will eventually get around to it, but ive been pretty busy lately and i'm on vacation next week...we'll see what i can do. were you looking for anything specific?

OscarFan
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
something small that would go with an Oscar in a 120.

Demjor19
06-16-2008, 07:50 PM
something small that would go with an Oscar in a 120.

I'm afraid you are out of luck on this one...all gar species do have the ability and potential to reach 2'+ (although 18"-20" is more common for most species). Also Oscars are poor tankmates for Gar in general.

I know several people who have tried keeping Gar with Oscars and in almost every case the Oscar would chase the Gar resulting in the Gar slamming the glass and breaking it's back (a fairly common injury with gar).

Gar usually do well with most large, slow-moving, Non-aggressive fish.

OscarFan
06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
ok. Thx......

cocoa_pleco
06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
wow... I live near the Mediterranean... only amazing thing I see there cause I haven't learned to scuba yet are big nasty jellyfish :) they don't sell those in a pet shop

Fishfool @ The Reef Tank (http://thereeftank.com)

old thread, and again, you cant post links to other forum sites, against this forums rules

reef12
06-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Not to rain on anybodies Parade but in my state against the law to keep or have any Native fish,unless in the Fish and wildlife Dept.

Not that I would or anything.:c3:

There are some mighty big Gar here about 3 ft plus.

Dave66
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure what a primer is, but it sounds cool?

Demjor,

Just click the links in my signature; that's what was meant by my primers. They are basically an overview of the family with husbandry information, then thumbnails of species. Maximum size, water preferences, food, character, colors and details, stuff like that.
Would be excellent if you could do a primer on gars: authoritative knowledge of, and experience with, the family are few and far between. It'd be a benefit for the forum should you do one.

Dave

Demjor19
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Demjor,

Just click the links in my signature; that's what was meant by my primers. They are basically an overview of the family with husbandry information, then thumbnails of species. Maximum size, water preferences, food, character, colors and details, stuff like that.
Would be excellent if you could do a primer on gars: authoritative knowledge of, and experience with, the family are few and far between. It'd be a benefit for the forum should you do one.

Dave

That sounds awesome! i agree...very few people keep these fish "properly" and there really isnt that much accurate info available on captive gar care. It may take a few weeks for me to get around to it, but i will definitely try fitting it in. thanks for the support.

jbsjohn
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
This tough, bony fish is seldom taken by anglers. Bow fishermen occasionally take it when they find them sunning on the surface. Long and slim, about a 30-inch maximum length, armor plated, large toothed -- it is an interesting fish that is probably not as abundant now as it was before the large dams were built on the Missouri River.
-------------
Jbsjohn

Missouri Alcohol Addiction Treatment (http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/missouri)

Demjor19
08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
This tough, bony fish is seldom taken by anglers. Bow fishermen occasionally take it when they find them sunning on the surface. Long and slim, about a 30-inch maximum length, armor plated, large toothed -- it is an interesting fish that is probably not as abundant now as it was before the large dams were built on the Missouri River.
-------------
Jbsjohn

Missouri Alcohol Addiction Treatment (http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/missouri)

They can be taken fairly easily on a fly rod by using a frayed nylon fly. their teeth will actually become entwined in the fibers causing them to get 'stuck' on the fly. With this method you are actually avoiding the obstacle the bony mouth poses.

also...the number of gar on the missouri river hasnt changed too much. in fact they arent a migratory species, so the dams pose little to no threat for the gar. Anglers are one of the gars biggest threats. Many actually view gar as a "garbage fish", so they feel the need to kill them or severely injure them, then throw them back into the water or on the bank.