PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Darters

clownsnbettas
02-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I have been looking for some Rainbow Darters for brood stock. I have a natural spring on my property and am wanting to start a breeding program with Rainbow Darters. Can anyone supply/sell me some Rainbow darters to start my breeding program? You can email me at godell427@gmail.com

Thanks

UncleWillie
02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
It is illegal to stock fish into any water unless it is a private pond owned by you. Regardless of whether you own the property where this spring is, the water itself belongs to the state (meaning that water flowing through your property eventually flows into another, then another, and so on. Everything you do to a stream effects others. You stocking fish into this water would be unlawful because stocking fish is prohibited and you introducing a species could be detrimental to the environment. No one has permission to stock waters of the state unless given proper permission by the government to do so - and this rarely happens for any private group. Most stocking programs are via some state government agency, the funding of which comes from the sale of fishing licenses.

So, no, no one will supply you with fish.

clownsnbettas
02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
The spring originates on MY property, I have had a trout hatchery for 30 years, and I am planning on breeding the darters in tanks in my OWN basement, on my OWN property. NOT ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UncleWillie
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
(1) No need for name-calling. If you've owned a trout hatchery for 30 years, that makes you 50+ years old, and you should know better than to act like a child. No tree hugger here - just someone who obeys laws created to preserve our native fishes, and informs others who are otherwise unaware of them.

(2) Breeding fish in tanks in your basement is not illegal - I never said it was.

(3) Why even mention that you have a spring on your property if these fish have nothing to do with it? Maybe a taking a little more time to include additional information would help us understand what your intentions are (regarding the spring). I could tell you that I own a portion of creek that runs through my property. Okay, true, but that has nothing to do with putting fish in a basement.

(4a) If you have no intention on stocking the fish into your spring, then you can ignore the rest of this post, and I will not take up your time.

(4b) If you do plan on stocking the fish you breed into the spring, then it is indeed illegal without the proper permits/permission.

(5) What state do you live in? Do you live in the U.S.?

(7) Read your local statutes carefully. You may see that there are technicalities when dealing with springs, creeks, etc. Sure, water can 'originate' on your property, but it doesn't mean you can do what you want with it. Your spring is connected to groundwater, and is the start of creeks and streams. There a very big issue of "Who owns the water?". Several good reads on the subject and I suggest you read up on them if you have the time. I decided to delete a lot of this subject not to bore others, but if you want, I can repost it another time.

The take-away from this is if you live in the U.S. it is likely that your state has strict laws against the stocking of fish into any body of water other than a privately owned pond. A pond is usually closed off to any other bodies or water and sealed away from groundwater. That is what makes ponds the exception to stocking laws.

I suggest more thought-out, informative posts next time so we are aware of your intentions. This may have saved a lot of time, and prevented peaking of your blood pressure.