PDA

View Full Version : My Tank - Your advice?

chesspupil
02-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Maybe some one could offer some advice:

Looking to add some crystalwort and moss balls, maybe ancharis. Preferring a floating plant species. I was having a brown algae problem but went to a 12 hr light cycle and that seemed to help greatly. I am flexible on the light to support the plants but I am hoping to not need to raise the tank much over 70 deg... I try to keep my home 68 during summer and no higher than 62 during the winter.

Snails are desired by my daughter and I am thinking of Nerites since I read they do not breed in FW.

Future plans are to find the 2 goldfish a new home and go on with Mollies and a warmer tank.
The tank is just about done cycling... first 24 feeders that died off to 12, added 12 more and now there are only the 2 left.

Chemicals are reading :
VIA Liquid test kit:
PH 7.6
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrites 2ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

Dip strip says:
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 5-10 ppm
Hardness GH 300
Chlorine 0ppm
Alkalinity: (KH) 120-180
PH 7.2-7.8
Amonia .5-1.0ppm

Air pump bubbler

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/CHESSPUPIL/Aquarium_02_11b.jpg

CassieLEO
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
The "brown algae problem" was diatoms from you cycling your tank. Its early in the morning for me, so im not sure as to what kind of question you are asking? Are you asking if 70 degrees is high enough for the plants? I think 70 degrees is a little low for mollies, I usually kept mine in water from 72-76 degrees. Fish arent as adaptable to cold weather as we are. It doesnt use that much more electricity to warm it up a couple more degrees....
I think you should go with the results of your chemical test and not the dipstick test. Your levels still need to level off a little...
What kind of pleco is it that you have? If its a regular Sailfin Pleco, he is going to outgrow that tank, fast...
You dont mention the size of the filter. How much filtration is it set up for?

rich311k
02-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Your cycle still has a ways to go. You will need a heater and temps at least in the mid 70s for tropical fish. I would consider rehoming that pleco before you get attached to it.

Lady Hobbs
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I would add pure amonia after these last two fish die instead of putting more fish thru that suffering. You probably had a good amount a bacteria from your original stock but with the die-offs to now only 2, you are developing a very low amount of bacteria, as well. Enough for only two fish, in other words.

Any household ammonia that contains no detergents or scents will cycle with no loss of life and you'll be able to maintain a level of ammonia constantly. Colder tanks also cycle much slower. Bacteria needs heat and oxygen to grow well.

You can even throw in raw shrimp or fish in a bag and lay it on the bottom of a tank in a nylon anchored to a rock.