PDA

View Full Version : How to do Fish ‘Surgery’ (Remove a Growth)

jessfish
02-14-2011, 05:10 AM
How to do Fish ‘Surgery’ (Remove a Growth)

My pleco, Peru, started with a very small nodule looking growth on the side of his mouth, less than a year later it was big enough to fit into his mouth & at times could be partially swallowed. This, along with the fact that it doubled in size in 2 months meant it was time to remove it.
After much thought (& discussion with fish forum members, fish store employees & vets) & plenty of research, my options were to cut the growth off, or tie it off and hope it would die and fall off – I decided I would tie it & hope it would fall off. I figured this gave my pleco the best chance at survival.
Tying a growth off sounds simple enough, but if you are squeamish like me & doing this procedure alone it can be a nerve wracking & daunting task!
I had a lot of time to plan & think things through. I gathered a combination of things I would need, even a cardboard box I could use to elevate my pleco off the table so his mouth & the growth were able to hang over an edge. I also realized that some people could do this quick procedure without sedating the fish, my 8in pleco definitely needs sedation (for my stress level, but more importantly his stress level!)

The List:
Hospital Tank
Clove Oil (can be found at pharmacy in first aid section)
Dropper (eye drop container worked for me)
Bucket – to put the fish for sedation
Plastic baggie (to mix clove oil)
Air tubing – in the bucket for sedation
Dental Floss (no wax) or String
Towels….lots of towels!
Pillowcase – having 2 is good but not needed
Nail scissors
Gloves (thin latex is better than thick regular rubber gloves)
Camera
Nerves of Steel!

**Clove Oil – it is used by vets to sedate fish at 5 drops for 1 gallon of water…but DO NOT add 10 drops for 2 gallons of water!!!! Only use 1 extra drop per gallon (2 gallons use 6 drops!!) This is the best way to not cause an overdose! After 5min if the fish is not asleep add 1 drop. Sometimes this process takes time, but is worth it.

Friday
I set up my hospital tank in advance, I put a cave & driftwood, but no substrate. I set up the table where I was going to do the procedure & I laid a towel over all of this.
I put a little more than 2g of tank water in the bucket added the airtube, then my pleco. I put a small amount (maybe ˝ cup) tank water in a plastic baggie & added 6 drops of clove oil (this is where the ‘dropper’ comes in – I put clove oil into a very clean old eye drop bottle) closed the bag up & shook it like crazy for a bit – it doesn’t stay white, but it looks white for a few seconds when its mixed well. I wasn’t sure how my pleco would react (I heard some jump) so I placed a towel over the top of the bucket when I poured the clove oil in – my pleco didn’t do anything!
After less than a minute I was getting stressed Peru wasn’t moving & wasn’t rolling over (clear sign they are asleep) I moved the water around & he still didn’t move I poked him…nothing!
I took the pillowcase wet it with tank water (you can also wet it with the clove water) & quickly took my pleco out & had the pillowcase under his body as well as over the top of him (its softer on a fishes body & should be between them & the towel – plus it keeps them wet)
His mouth & the growth were hanging over the edge making it easy for me to work I grabbed a long piece of dental floss. I had to move the feeler on the side of his mouth away from the growth otherwise it would have gotten tied together. With my hands shaking I was able to tie the growth really tight twice before trimming the edges of floss. I had the pillow case covering all but the mouth – for my sanity – but I could see his lip/mouth moving so I knew he was breathing.
I poured a small amount of tank water over him & picked him up & held him in his tank – he was already wiggling a small bit, but came too within seconds in the water & wanted to swim away.
While Peru recuperated in the tank I finally stopped shaking & cleaned up the mess!
A few hours later I saw that my awesome fish was back to regular and eating I went to the tank to get a closer look at the growth & see if anything was happening.
Success!!!!!!! Or so I thought!
I looked and looked & finally spotted the dental floss as it floated by!!!!!!!!! It had come off!

Round Two – Friday afternoon
Only a couple hrs after the initial procedure I set everything back up again & went through the same sedation & (not as much) stress to do it all again. I was a little worried about sedating again so soon, but he appeared to be fully recovered.
Within ten minutes and with less shaking I had Peru back in the tank ready to recover again – this time I had tied the floss 4 times!

Round Three - the charm?
Within 24hrs I could tell the floss was coming undone again. I waited until Sunday afternoon & decided this time to use string, maybe this would hold up to my rambunctious pleco.
I set everything up again, got my pleco in the bucket, added the clove oil & waited…10min & he was still flopping slightly when I tried to pick him up! Another drop and 5 more min & he was out. I dunked the pillowcase in clove water, picked him up & because he was very out of it I laid him down & was able to relax & really look & move the growth & make sure I tied it well & TIGHT! The string tied well, I did three knots & picked up my fishy & put him back in his tank. I held him closer to his head for a min (with all the clove oil this time he was very sedated!) it took a minute or two for him to start to come around & I was able to get a quick video just as he woke up & started to swim away.

Six hours after tying the string 95% of the growth has fallen off!!!!!!!!! The string is still tied around a small bit of the growth & I think it will come off on its own.
I’ll update.
Peru is dancing & eating like crazy & after a yr of looking at him with this ugly thing on his mouth he looks really good!
Since I had to handle him so many times he did end up with a few splits in some fins, but nothing that won’t heal in a few days!
So far so good!

jessfish
02-14-2011, 05:19 AM
Pictures from round 3 lol
& the youtube video of Peru waking up during round 3 :19:

UJX39vF0aoc

CassieLEO
02-14-2011, 11:12 AM
OMG Jess!!!!! That was a incredible blow-by-blow account!!! Good job on your surgery procedure! You should write a article about this. Seriously, good jod!!! Glad Peru will be ok and is back to his "dancing" self!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Lady Hobbs
02-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow. You did it. Let's hope there's no root to that thing and it will return. Time constraints sure doesn't give a person much time to work on them once out of the water. Good job.

gabbyguppy
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm so glad to hear you were able to tie off the growth on Peru. Keeping my fingers crossed that he make a full recovery.

Agree, this needs to be an article or at least a stickie.

I think most folks feel performing surgery, on a fish, is something they couldn't do. You've given me hope, should I ever need to remove something from a fish, I might be able to do so.

Karen

jessfish
02-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks!! today he's still doing great, the string is still tying off a small bit of the growth that is left, i think that'll fall off today or tomorrow - im really happy he seems to be making a quick recovery so far!

i was just looking to see if i could find the answer...but whats the difference between a sticky & an article? I've seen sticky's...but not sure if i have to do something diff for an article...& if so should i keep this post here or put it in disease section?

Scrup
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
That is amazing. Awesome job!

I have done the same thing for skin tags before, only on myself and a dog though. Never seen it done to a fish! Kudos!

kingkarter
02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Good jobthumbs2:

Rue
02-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Excellent! I am so impressed! thumbs2:

gabbyguppy
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
i was just looking to see if i could find the answer...but whats the difference between a sticky & an article? I've seen sticky's...but not sure if i have to do something diff for an article...& if so should i keep this post here or put it in disease section?

I'm not sure if the Mods make the "stickies" or not. You could PM Lady Hobbs, I'm sure she could tell ya.

I have a hard time "searching" for answers, as I'm on dial up and my computer moves waaay toooo slow.

Karen

jessfish
02-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure if the Mods make the "stickies" or not. You could PM Lady Hobbs, I'm sure she could tell ya.

I have a hard time "searching" for answers, as I'm on dial up and my computer moves waaay toooo slow.

Karen

Thanks i'll do that...sorry to hear about your dial up - my cousin has that still in her area - she hates it!!!!!

MCHRKiller
02-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Awesome! Hopefully the growth is just a benign thing and does not return, in either case you have greatly improved the quality of life for the fish. Fish surgery is a bit tricky but certainly not impossible.

Kudos to a job well done :22:

jessfish
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Awesome! Hopefully the growth is just a benign thing and does not return, in either case you have greatly improved the quality of life for the fish. Fish surgery is a bit tricky but certainly not impossible.

Kudos to a job well done :22:

Thanks ya tricky is a good word!!! I was thinking before that the growth looked like it was inside his mouth as well (& i would not be able to get that out) but now that most of it is gone it looks like it may not return as easily as i thought it would!!

Cyberra
02-15-2011, 12:01 AM
^_^ Glad to hear the surgery went well, and I hope Peru makes a full recovery

jessfish
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
UPDATE:

So the string & last bit of growth came off!! His mouth looks great! The spot where the growth was is a bit red so im going to keep an eye on it for a while longer before putting him back in the main tank. I put some garlic on his food & he hates it...but i've heard even just the juices in the water can help fish heal plus i did a small water change to get the poop out of the tank (20gal with 8in pleco = lots of poop!) I added water conditioner that has aloe so hope he continues to heal!!
:19:

he's not doing much i hope hes just mad about the garlic!

CassieLEO
02-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Hes prolly pi**** that his fashion accessory is missing. He prolly liked how it waved back and forth in the water while he danced ;) LMAO!

jessfish
02-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Hes prolly pi**** that his fashion accessory is missing. He prolly liked how it waved back and forth in the water while he danced ;) LMAO!

LMAO!!!!!!!

I just took the garlic soaked zucchini out & put a regular piece in & he's all over it!!

I guess it was too much change lol
Wow but honestly i haven't seen him go this nuts for food in MONTHS!!!!!

CassieLEO
02-15-2011, 01:17 AM
Thats great!!!!! Im so glad hes ok!!!

jessfish
02-15-2011, 03:08 AM
So this is how pleco's are supposed to act!
He's had this growth since a few months after i got him so he really either chilled in his cave, danced around with the goldfish or ate...but now - minus the growth - he's sucking on EVERYTHING!!!
bottom of the tank, sides of the tank, every bit of the cave, the filter tube, the airline, the thermometer (which is funny since it just floats around the tank) the heater, the veggie clip, the driftwood...

CassieLEO
02-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Stick your hand in there with a treat and leave it there, he will prolly suck on your hand too. Mine used to!!!

Cyberra
02-15-2011, 03:28 AM
XD Pleco on a thermometer... Kodak moment ^_^ Glad to hear that he's feeling better

lotus flower
02-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Aww! Good job! Get well soon, Peru!

I hope he stays healthy and free from secondary infection. Glad to hear he's doing so well!

My best to both of you!

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
He just looks so much better it's unreal. Where did you get the idea of the string? It looks like he has some more small growths on the bottom but hopefully they will stay small but makes me think this might be something viral. Very odd indeed but what an awesome job you did!

It's a stickie!

jessfish
02-15-2011, 06:06 PM
He just looks so much better it's unreal. Where did you get the idea of the string? It looks like he has some more small growths on the bottom but hopefully they will stay small but makes me think this might be something viral. Very odd indeed but what an awesome job you did!

It's a stickie!

YAY my 1st stickie lol!

I got the idea of the string when I thought the dental floss wasn't working & i knew fishing line wouldn't hold either - the only other thing i could come up with was string!

Honestly I thought there would be more of the growth left inside his mouth, so the tiny bits left on the side are ok with my for now - if they become a problem it'll take a while & at least i can do it all again! yay!!

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I know the fishing line didn't work and would have probably sliced right thru the growth but the idea in general to even tie it off. Very smart idea.

jessfish
02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I know the fishing line didn't work and would have probably sliced right thru the growth but the idea in general to even tie it off. Very smart idea.

Tying was a vet's idea! the 1st thing i was told was to cut it off...im so glad i talked to a few vets as well - cutting may have caused serious problems!

Rue
02-15-2011, 06:20 PM
...they used to (and likely still do) castrate certain animals by tying off...

...so it has been used for getting rid of unwanted, er, bits in the past...:14:

jessfish
02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
...they used to (and likely still do) castrate certain animals by tying off...

...so it has been used for getting rid of unwanted, er, bits in the past...:14:

LMAO ewww

i guess it works though....those poor animals!

Sirex
02-17-2011, 04:56 AM
That was so cool.

Cassandra
02-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Wow amazing job! Im so glad to hear he's doing better! What an improvement!!! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Wow Jess. I just ran across some posts and you got this great advice from gabbyguppy? Nice job, gabby!!!!!!! You come to the rescue and helped out emmensely with this huge problem and your good advice saved the day.

Lots of rep points coming your way for being so helpful here!!!!!!!!

jessfish
02-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I think i might mke a seperate post for this question as well...but im wondering about aquarium salt.

Peru is still doing great! He's eaing ALOT!!! & much faster than hes been able to in months which is kind of scary for me to see - because that means he'll be having another growth spurt!

The spot where the growth came off is still looking red, but today it looks a little bit swollen. I have antibiotics (Maracyn) but i think thats a bit over kill & i'm not convinced he needs anything that strong.

I have aquarium salt that says it adds essential electrolytes, improves gill function, & promotes disease recovery.
His gills are working fine, he doesn't have a specific disease...but im sure the electrolytes in the salt can't hurt.

Is putting some of this salt in with a pleco ok (i've read its ok & most will tolerate it)
Or should i just keep doing what im doing (small water changes everyday to get the poop out & keep the water clean & feeding - plus the water conditioner i have has aloe in it)
I don't want to do too much & cause problems that are not there - but if there is a small infection (which is hard for me to tell) i want to treat it before it becomes a big problem.

thanks!!!

jessfish
02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
After a week he's HOME!!!!

Here's the happy ending!

1st video is after 30 min in the bag (the tanks were a degree diff in temp I didnt want to just toss him in) he spent the ENTIRE 30 min trying to eat/smash his way out of the bag...so when he was set free he swam behind a plant & took a few seconds but did this...

vEcvjsX-W1E

After a few hrs he was back to 'normal' - I swear if its possible for a fish to smile...Peru does it! I'm stil trying to get a pic of that!

PvHaIE4VmsA

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Welcome Home Peru!

DylanisHawttt
02-19-2011, 07:10 PM
I just stumbled upon this thread b/c I know a while ago you asked the forum what you should do. It looks amazing thumbs2: Good job on the successful surgery.

jessfish
02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
THANKS!!!

Im really happy (im sure Peru is too) that so many people gave advice & opinions...it helped me take a big chance with my fishy & im glad it's worked out!

Cyberra
02-19-2011, 11:16 PM
^_^ I'm so glad your goldpleco is doing well, is back home, and is doing his "goldie dance" again

jessfish
02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
^_^ I'm so glad your goldpleco is doing well, is back home, and is doing his "goldie dance" again

LMAO!!! He has a new name Peru Gold-Pleco:fish2:

Cyberra
02-20-2011, 12:13 AM
LMAO!!! He has a new name Peru Gold-Pleco:fish2:
XD Part goldfish, part pleco

jessfish
02-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Since Peru's growth started right after I got him I've never seen him act like a 'normal' pleco (not that he's normal anyway lol) & do the things I thought plecos did...like suck on the glass & driftwood..he would do that every now & than but not much.

I've been watching tv but i can see him too & he's been sucking at the heater for 10min & he goes back & forth between that & the filter tubes LOL

no wonder he's eating so much...hes working up the appetite:hmm3grin2orange:

Cyberra
02-23-2011, 03:09 AM
^_^ If I could get one of those car window suction cup critters in the shape of a pleco, I'd stick it in my car window and drive around with it all day LOL

jessfish
02-23-2011, 03:21 AM
^_^ If I could get one of those car window suction cup critters in the shape of a pleco, I'd stick it in my car window and drive around with it all day LOL

OMG LMAO me too...do they make those.....could i make one?!!!

Cyberra
02-23-2011, 03:45 AM
OMG LMAO me too...do they make those.....could i make one?!!!
It shouldn't be too hard... Just make a plush pleco and insert a suction cup under the head ^^

If you could make one, I'd pay for one :D Plecos are cute

jessfish
02-23-2011, 05:18 AM
It shouldn't be too hard... Just make a plush pleco and insert a suction cup under the head ^^

If you could make one, I'd pay for one :D Plecos are cute

im starting to volunteer in a school this week (in the hope of getting a job) i'll be with jk/sk & grade 2/3....i bet i could make this a fun project LOL

Cyberra
02-23-2011, 05:53 AM
im starting to volunteer in a school this week (in the hope of getting a job) i'll be with jk/sk & grade 2/3....i bet i could make this a fun project LOL
^_^ Yes, it would be fun

jessfish
02-25-2011, 01:50 AM
UPDATE:
Feb 24

Peru is doing great, regular behaviour (well regular for him lol) he's eating like an absolute pig, but i'm not feeding the amount he thinks he can now eat in a day (he thinks 1/2 a zucchini) I am giving him the same amount which is a lot less lol...most people don't even feed their pleco's 6 days a week - but it works & keeps the behaviour of all the fish in check LOL

As far as the growth, the spot that was tied has healed well - if not completely!!
All that's left is a tiny bubble - it bugs me - I want to remove it because I think it will continue to grow & like before I wonder what is in it...but I'm going to let it be until there is a health reason to remove it.

I've been trying to get a picture of Peru smiling - or what looks like a smile, the shape of his mouth & certain angles make it look like a funny smile...but he's moving when this happens so pictures haven't been working out & unless I want to sit there for an hr (no thanks) & take pictures it's going to take patience!

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/Jessfish2011/peru4feb24whatsleftofgrowth.jpg

Almost a smile LOL

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/Jessfish2011/peru3feb24.jpg

Cyberra
02-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Bubble aside, he's looking good ^_^

XD I have a betta who begs for a share of whatever I'm eating, fish-safe or not. You're not the only one with a critter who likes chow

jessfish
02-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Bubble aside, he's looking good. You're not the only one with a critter who likes chow

LMAO thanks!

Rue
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd leave the bubble. If it grows, deal with it...otherwise no point in stressing him out again right now...

jessfish
02-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I'd leave the bubble. If it grows, deal with it...otherwise no point in stressing him out again right now...

exactly its tiny it stresses me out & it stresses him out to remove it - so its staying until it has to come off - hopefully that will take a yr...or maybe it'll disapear!!!!

jessfish
02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
UPDATE: Feb 25...unexpected stuff happens - results in an update :22:

After his 'surgery' I noticed two tiny bubble looking things. Yesterday I posted pics of Peru with the big 'bubble' this afternoon I take a look & the bubble is GONE (so is part of his lip to be fair) what's left is the other small bubble I think I saw before.
Now it looks like the exploded part of his lip where the bubble was yesterday will heal up just fine.
I'm wondering if the remaining bubble will do the same? If I had known this was going to happen I would have kept him in the hospital tank - I really hope whatever was in that bubble doesn't get passed to the other fish!!!!

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/Jessfish2011/peru1feb25.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/Jessfish2011/peru3feb25.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i330/Jessfish2011/peru4feb25.jpg

jessfish
03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Another Update: march 7

The little bubble has turned into nothing - hasn't gotten any bigger - i think its gotten smller or disapeared. His lip is still healing but he's able to eat a lot better & a surprise to me eat a diff variety. He would try to eat romaine lettuce that was given to the snails before but would give up - i think the soft lettuce would allow the growth to float into his mouth more than harder food like zucchini. He now eats a lot of romaine!

I haven't measured him but I think he is finally starting to gain some gerth, rather than so much lenght - this is probably his age too (he's over a yr now) but I always see these long plecos that have some shape to them & he was just long with not much shape.

All and all Peru is doing just great! :1luvu:

Demjor19
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Great read! Awesome work too! Glad to here he is doing well!

Rue
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Yuppers! Excellent and thanks for the update!

Give him some zucchini for me!

lovingmyclown
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
wow dr dolittle eat your heart out lo congrats on the succesfull op your a legend

jessfish
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
wow dr dolittle eat your heart out lo congrats on the succesfull op your a legend

Thank You :22:

I hope the information I was able to find & this thread will help other people & their fish :1luvu:

GoldfishFan
03-14-2011, 02:26 AM
That's amazing, good job =D I'm curious, did you tie the floss as tight as you could? Wouldn't that end up just cutting it if it was tight enough, or apparently not? lol:ssuprised:

jessfish
03-14-2011, 04:41 AM
I was told to tie 'tight as I could' which freaked me out because I thought that might just cut right through the thing & it would come off & my fish would bleed to death...

the 1st time I tied it I did it 'tight' with dental floss & did 2 knots...it came off.

the 2nd time I tied dental floss I think I did 3 knots, wrapped it around again & did another knot...it came loose but not off

the 3rd time I used string - I think if I had used string the 1st time & tied it with any kind of force it could have cut throug the growth (which I think would have been bad) but I think becasue the 2nd dental floss didn't come all the way off when I pulled the string really hard it worked better.

Plus dental floss is thicker that may have helped with it not cutting through the growth - I guess it depends how tight a person can pull it?

& since i'm here i'll gve another quick update - It's been a month since the 'surgery'. This one I guess goes into the idea of fish having a memory that is more extensive than people thought. Before I took Peru out of the tank for the 1st time he would come to my hand for food, I could touch his nose & he would follow, I could rub his belly if he was eating upside down, I would hve to shake him off the veggie clip if he was really hungry. I would have to push him out of the way when I was trying to move or fix plants.
He started his 'dancing' right away, which is social & he does it when I am at the glass watching (& will come up to the top of the water) but he darts into his cave if I go near the tank too fast & he's only just starting to stay within 5-7in of my hand when I put food in - usually he hides when I open the lid.
So I think they have a pretty good memory of tramatic events anyway LOL
But he is starting to come around again to the idea that my hand in the tank doesnt mean bad things for him LOL

I am a little worried that a similar growth is starting to develop inside his mouth, which if so could be very bad for him - but not for many many months so I am not overly concerned. There are a couple bumps forming but they are small & I am hoping maybe they are due to the fact that he eats more of a variety & that includes sand now:11:

:1luvu:

Spardas
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Excellent work!

Sometimes, we really do need to get our hands dirty and perform some minor surgery on our fishes, :hmm3grin2orange: .

Kik
03-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I cant believe this! Thats unbelieveable..you had the guts to do that! Really pleased for you, and glad peru is back to his old self! :19:

jessfish
03-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I cant believe this! Thats unbelieveable..you had the guts to do that! Really pleased for you, and glad peru is back to his old self! :19:

Excellent work!

Sometimes, we really do need to get our hands dirty and perform some minor surgery on our fishes, :hmm3grin2orange: .

LOL thanks...I think the weeks of research were also a way to try & calm my nerves!!
Funny enough considering I did the 'surgery' 3 times before it worked I have never actually held Peru with my bare hand - always a glove & usually that wet pillowcase...he just feels too strange! I like the tip of his nose & his belly beyond that I'm not touching :hmm3grin2orange:

happygrits
04-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Just reading your awesome journal of the surgery made me nervous! What a brave person you are! Thanks for sharing, hope that growth never returns.

jessfish
04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Just reading your awesome journal of the surgery made me nervous! What a brave person you are! Thanks for sharing, hope that growth never returns.

Thanks!
Its almost been 3 months & so far so good...he has grown another 1/2 inch in lenght (which he was doing monthly before anyway) but he's also grown 1/2inch across his widest part just under his head!
He likes me again & doesnt hide in his cave when I put my hand in the tank anymore...he's usually an inch away checking me out to see what I'm doing.

jessfish
04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Aww i just went through the thread & realized most of my videos & pictures are gone...my photobucket account got all screwed up & my youtube videos weren't working for me so I deleted without thinking they would be gone from here too...

I'll have to update with some new pictures since he's turning into a monster

jessfish
04-28-2011, 12:15 AM
omg i wish i had video of what just happened, i've been feeding my fish gel food & mostly squishing it into the water (which is terrible on my prefilters) but i've also started holding the cube of food & letting the goldfish take bites, which they do without a problem.
Peru usually gets the bits of food in the sand but comes up to the top of the tank & just hangs out on the glass a few inches from where i hold the food for the goldies...today he came over & ATE FROM MY HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the calmest coolest thing, mostly because like some of my goldies he doesnt almost take my finger off when he goes for the food he just holds it & i guess rasps on it...he just floats there rasping on the food!

it was awesome until the goldies got brave & started swimming up his belly to get to the food LOL

3 months after the little surgery & over a yr of having him & he finally ate from my hand! soooo neat!

Rue
04-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Very cool Jess!

Next time, set up the camera! thumbs2:

jessfish
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Very cool Jess!

Next time, set up the camera! thumbs2:

I'm going to tonight when i feed them, maybe he'll do it again!!

JustAlex4tw
06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the thread Jess! Great read, congratulations on the successful surgery! A+!

jessfish
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
UPDATE
its been 5 months since the growth was removed & its still looking good!
Peru is still growing about a half inch a month & is now a little over 9in. About a month ago he started eating out of my hand - which was funny but at the same time he was eating high protein food meant for the goldies (it made his belly huge & he wouldnt move much after a little of this food) LOL
SO I stopped feeding that food (actually i ran out) but now Peru does what I have only heard of some plecos doing - when I feed flakes he goes to the top of the water & sticks half his mouth out of the water & lets flakes float in - he does this until he floats belly up - then he stops!!! Damn funny!
You would think that I don't feed him - but he still eats on average one zuchini a week.

When the growth was 1st removed he looked awesome! But with his continued dancing - which involves rubbing his nose up & down the glass for hrs at a time - he has worn the tip of his nose down in a bad way & the 'skin' looks terrible! I really need to take a pic!

:22:

Lab_Rat
07-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Glad you bumped this thread. My JD has a tumor on her anal fin (near where it meets her body) that I was just leaving, but a couple of days ago it ruptured. I'm thinking about removing it surgically. Not sure if your tying off technique would work in this situation. It's currently like an open wound since it ruptured so I don't think cutting it off would make it any worse.

Lady Hobbs
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't think so Lab. Your JD sounds more like he had an abscess type lump where jessfish's pleco had a solid, unfilled type of thingie similar to a cauliflower tumor. That on your JD may have to drain some and simply dry up on it's own. Some salt in his water might aid in curing and dying up?

Rue
07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the Peru update. He sounds like quite the character. My BN mostly hides...

Lab...I'm thinking a salt treatment might be helpful too...

Lab_Rat
07-08-2011, 10:57 PM
It's definitely tissue there. I was surprised it ruptured actually. I'll try to get a pic of it later.

jessfish
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I think try salt in the tank with your pleco Lab Rat & see if that helps before you do anything else & maybe think about meds - if you havent tried that yet. yes Peru's growth had nothing in it...

here is an updated picture of what he has done to his nose...i'm glad im not stuck on him looking 'perfect' I was worried he was hurting himself - but i guess since he keeps rubbing his nose on the glass it doesnt bother him & i have no idea how to get him to stop! LOL!
but if this is a problem or anyone thinks it could become a problem & has ideas to stop him...please let me know! :)

Gogi
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow great read indeed!!!! Thanks for sharing your exprience, simply amazing. Im just curious to know how Peru is doing now, more than a year later?