PDA

View Full Version : Redeye with fungus on mouth?

sallywally
02-14-2011, 03:24 AM
I added three new bloodfin tetra to my 30 gal two days ago, but two had tiny white dots on their lower lips and one was chasing all the fish in the aquarium, so I caught them the next day and took them back. No more new fish until we change the 30 out for a 40 breeder tank at the end of this month.

I noticed the morning of the day I returned the bloodfins that one of my redeyes had thick lips. Person at the lfs said probably it was biting its lip in the disarray of the bloodfin introduction and subsequent furor of catching them to return.

But I think it is a fungus. The incredibly knowledgeable person at Petco says they have a fungus treatment that is all-natural, etc. I plan to get some tomorrow.

Should I treat the whole 30-gal with the fungus stuff (10 neons, 6 redeyes, 3 bloodfins, 3 diamonds, plus a baby which is probably a diamond), 3 otocinclus, one honey gourami and some snails) or would the Fluval Edge do as a hospital tank (now has 2 microscopic danio that have been in there since early Oct., 3 3-line pencilfish and one honey gourami) and treat the redeye in there?

sallywally
02-14-2011, 05:41 AM
went ahead and euthanized the redeye. Of course catching him was stressful again for all the other fish. When I pull him from the freezer later I'll see if I can tell if he was losing his mouth or if I can see any string-like things near the mouth. :scry:

CassieLEO
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Awwww im sorry to hear about your fish. You did the right thing though. You dont want it making all your other fish sick!

KatzeSlaugen
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
seems like an epidemic. all the bloodfins in my 4 LFS's have the tiny cottony tuft on their bottom lip for what seems like the past few months

sallywally
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the support, and wow - well, I'm not replacing the bloodfins or anything else for awhile. The lfs said the dots on the bloodfins had to do with shipping injuries but I took them back anyway, and the third one seemed to have scoliosis. :sconfused:

Meanwhile, suddenly tonight one of my 10 neons had a tiny white raised dot on his head. So I was afraid it would be ich and I euthanized him too.:scry:

Ugh!

But on the positive side, a second baby fish has showed up in the tank, hanging around underneath the plants at the middle-back of the tank. S/he looks just like the last one, who has grown as big as a neon and still looks just like a diamond. I am thrilled! Just like the last one, this one is about 1/2" long. Very cute.:1luvu:

But I hope there's nothing terrible in the tank. Just when I thought things were stable, too....

I'm going to do another vaccuuming/water change tomorrow if I can...I have to pick up my sister from a tooth-pulling and deliver her to the rehab center and probably hold her hand for awhile and do a relatively large freelance proofing job for the Ohio State Univ. Medical Center. Meanwhile, I just put today's proofing job for them inside the storm door for the courier to pick up and it's only 3:16 am! Good thing I'm a night owl.