PDA

View Full Version : Fish with crabs

poloman579
02-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Im starting up a tank and i plan on putting in some fiddlers but i was hopeing to put in some fish as well. Dwarf puffer is what first came to mind as the tank will be small and land is needed for thte crabs cutting down on total volume available. But did yall have any ideas on some other fish i could add that would do good in brackish water. I should also mention this will be my first brackish tank.

lotus flower
02-14-2011, 04:57 AM
I don't know anything in regards to the question asked, but as to the thread subject line "Fish with Crabs," my first thought was "Jeez...fish get those, too?" and "Hopefully not from a toilet seat."

*Goes and sits in the Shame Corner*

poloman579
02-14-2011, 05:14 AM
hahaha rereading that probably not the best wording of a post title. But im leening more towards bumblebee gobies now just not sure how many i can fit in a 10gal tank.

Ticklemekevin10
02-14-2011, 05:16 AM
hahaha i was thinking the same thing!

CassieLEO
02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I almost spit out my morning coffee laughing!!! LMAO!!!!

jonny5
02-19-2011, 04:50 AM
well fiddler crabs need brackish, you put dwarf puffer in brackish and they die. Plus puffers eat crustaceans so might be a bad idea lol.

if you do fiddlers you can keep any small brackish fish, halfbeaks, rainbowfish, knight gobies.

johndoe222
02-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Actually jonny dwarf puffers are brackish. And you can't keep any brackish fish with them. If there slow or have long fins they will most likely be eaten sooner rather then later.

jonny5
02-19-2011, 05:47 AM
if we are talking Carinotetraodon travancoricus here, they are most certainly FW. they most likely can acclimate to light brackish but they will die at high up salinities and live longer in freshwater. Same goes for thet amazon puffer.

the only true commonly sold brackish puffers are green spotted, figure 8, and ceylon puffers.

johndoe222
02-19-2011, 08:10 AM
I don't know where you get your info but they most certainly are brackish and can live in high salinity though not permanently. I have done my fair share of traveling in my time.

jonny5
02-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I dont have any personal experience with this fish but when i started my brackish tank i was looking for puffers and the dwarf puffer caught my eye. I researched it and the puffer forums, nmonks book and all the online sources state that it is freshwater and may die at a salinity over 1.005sg.

If you have had success with it at moderate salinity levels then cool but it seems most people agree they are freshwater.

Spidyman
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Im starting up a tank and i plan on putting in some fiddlers but i was hopeing to put in some fish as well. Dwarf puffer is what first came to mind as the tank will be small and land is needed for thte crabs cutting down on total volume available. But did yall have any ideas on some other fish i could add that would do good in brackish water. I should also mention this will be my first brackish tank.

I know that fiddler crabs are technically brackish but I have kept them with cichlids in freshwater for a good year and they do just fine but keep in mined lots of fish find crabs to be food.

johndoe222
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Spidy, the life span for a fiddler crab is about 4 years. if youkept it in freshwater without dry land then you put it through hell figurativly speaking.