PDA

View Full Version : i am a sucker for snails.

Scrup
02-13-2011, 07:06 PM
So, I was at a local reef shop, and they had a big tank full of empty snail shells for free. Having shellies, I readily took them up on the offer. Figured I could cure them like I did all the other shells.

I get home and notice one of them is happily crawling on the bag!

Luckily he filled the bag with water, since he was fairly sure I would get some copepods hitching a ride.

So, I have this bag floating in one of my tanks (freshwater tank), stuck to the side so it wont sink, with saltwater, a snail, and an airstone. No idea wth to do with the poor guy, and being a snail lover, I just can't kill him without giving him a chance.

Thinking about running to the store and getting a setup for one of my 2 gallons for him. Stupid idea? Should I just toss him in the freezer for an hour and get it over with? Feed him to my clown loaches? Try and acclimate to fresh even though that would probably be a very slow death (but it works for nerites right??!?)

I feel I am dangerously on the edge to taking up saltwater.:hmm3grin2orange:

Cliff
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Do you know anyone who could take him ?

If not, and you want to keep him, you get a pc of cured live rock (hopfully with some algae on it) and get up a small tank for him. A nano power head and a 2 to 3 lb pc of live rock should be OK for a few snails. A good FW light fixture would work assuming you only want snails. A lower K rating would help grow some algea for him to eat. You would have to keep a close eye on the parameters for the frist week or so.

I've actaully been thinking of setting up a small invert tank as well

rageybug
02-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Why not take it back to the LFS?

CassieLEO
02-15-2011, 11:33 AM
So did you end up setting up anything???

Scrup
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
He hopped the bag into the tank, where I found him dead. I could have taken him to the store, but an hour drive for a snail was more than I was willing to undertake.

CassieLEO
02-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah I can see that. Oh well... LOL!!!