PDA

View Full Version : Identify this pleco

fishluvr
02-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I found this image on the net, and downloaded it sometime ago, in hope of getting one some day, but forgot what kind of pleco it is.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/FishLuvr/pleco-1.jpg

the bands are yellow not white like a zebra and most zebras i seen have more narrow bands (unless thats because they were not adults)

toddnbecka
02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Young L-134, aka leopard frog pleco, typically around $45-$50 when you can find some available. They turn up occaisonally on aquabid. I have a group of 5-6 I'm hoping will be spawning soon, just need to get the clear out a 29 for them to move into.

fishluvr
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Young L-134, aka leopard frog pleco, typically around $45-$50 when you can find some available. They turn up occaisonally on aquabid. I have a group of 5-6 I'm hoping will be spawning soon, just need to get the clear out a 29 for them to move into.

thank you very much! it is beautiful, cant wait to get the 75 gallon tank up and established so i can get one of these guys, for the past 5 years ive wanted a zebra l046 but could never bring myself to drop 200+ dollars for one fish even 50 will be a lot of coin, i think to date ive spent at most 20 bucks for one fish

toddnbecka
02-13-2011, 01:09 AM
If you breed them and sell the offspring then $50 for a fish isn't a bad investment. I paid that much for unsexed super red BN from Germany last year, had to buy 8, and ended up with only 2 females. Since the economy has been dragging along I've been selling the young ones for $20/each (you can sell $20 fish more easily than $50 fish) and have still gotten back quite a bit more than I spent for the breeding stock. The last dozen or so from the first brood of fry are just about mature, and I'll be selling sexed pairs for $80 soon. Meanwhile, there are a good number of younger ones coming along that I'll be posting f/s in about another month, and the parents will be spawning more. Even when they become more easily available, and the selling price drops to $15 or even $10/each they'll still be helping to upgrade tanks, buy filters, heaters, food, etc. With a little luck I'll be able to put back enough to buy some L-46 breeding stock this year.