PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Bettas??????

aquariums+me=happy
02-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Alright.........so I had the female visible to the male for about 3 days and the male made a nice sized bubble nest. After he was finished I let the female out and they did the normal: flaring, chasing, hiding...........ect. I've done allot of research on breeding bettas, and I've had some successfull spawns before. The prob. is that the male has just completely ripped the female up and all she does is just kind of lie there on the bottom of the breeding tank. Scared she was going to die, I put her in my 5 gal. and now she is acting perfectly normal and swimming around just fine. She has some missing scales and her fins are torn up a bit. When she was with the male, she seemed ready to breed: she was very dark with vertical stripes and she had the white thing (I forget what it's called) on here belly. The male has successfully spawned before and so has the female. So the question is: Does anybody have some advice as to what I should do???:help:

CassieLEO
02-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Maybe she wasnt "diggin" him too much this time around?

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2011, 10:54 PM
It's not always successful and sometimes the male will kill her. You can try again if the bubble nest is still ready but you'll have to watch closely because as soon as she spawns, you'll have to remove her.

Have you lots of tanks for the babies if you have them? The only ones that can remain together are the females and each male will have to be separated from the others. That may require several vessels just for males.

kingkarter
02-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Some females just won't breed with certain males. I have read you should have 2 or 3 females so that if one wont breed you can try anothere one.

aquariums+me=happy
02-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Some females just won't breed with certain males. I have read you should have 2 or 3 females so that if one wont breed you can try anothere one.

Yeah, it's just that this pair has spawned before. Well........Ill try again.....

kingkarter
02-13-2011, 12:58 AM
How old are they?

aquariums+me=happy
02-13-2011, 01:15 AM
I don't exactly know, but I would say about 1 year old.

kingkarter
02-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Ok because the older they are the less of a chance you have of getting them to breed. Allso you shouldn't breed any bettas over 1 year old.

Here some link you might be intrested in
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=21373
If you got your bettas from a LFS then read this
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=7501

aquariums+me=happy
02-16-2011, 08:28 PM
well........they arn't to old.........I seperated them last weekend and I'll try again this weekend.

kingkarter
02-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Hope it works out this time, Good luck.

What tipe of bettas are you breeding?

Cassandra
02-17-2011, 05:03 AM
I have a few questions for everyone...pardon my ignorance....

I have 5 female bettas in my community tank now and 3 of them have the white spot on their bellies...I thought it was the beginning of a white poop lol...plus, 2 of their bellies get all huge and I honestly thought it was due to overfeeding (which I still havent ruled out) does that mean they are all ready to breed? should I try? and what happens if they are ready but they dont breed? will it just go away and everything be fine? or is it bad for them not to breed at all?

Cyberra
02-17-2011, 05:09 AM
I have a few questions for everyone...pardon my ignorance....

I have 5 female bettas in my community tank now and 3 of them have the white spot on their bellies...I thought it was the beginning of a white poop lol...plus, 2 of their bellies get all huge and I honestly thought it was due to overfeeding (which I still havent ruled out) does that mean they are all ready to breed? should I try? and what happens if they are ready but they dont breed? will it just go away and everything be fine? or is it bad for them not to breed at all?
The white spot is the ovipositor, and all females have it. Females show their readiness to mate by showing dark vertical stripes on their sides, but only if there's a male nearby. And only if they like the male in question.

Cassandra
02-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Ok nevermind then lol the male I have is way on the other side of the room, thanks!

Cyberra
02-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Ok nevermind then lol the male I have is way on the other side of the room, thanks!
If you're going to try to breed them, be very careful.

Cassandra
02-17-2011, 05:44 AM
yeah I probably wont lol I like my bettas I dont want to risk losing any of them

By the way, sorry about the hijack:14:

aquariums+me=happy
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
yeah I probably wont lol I like my bettas I dont want to risk losing any of them

By the way, sorry about the hijack:14:

It's alright.:11:

Flare
02-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Did you properly condition the pair? Sometimes bettas won't breed if they haven't been properly conditioned!

aquariums+me=happy
02-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Did you properly condition the pair? Sometimes bettas won't breed if they haven't been properly conditioned!
I've conditioned them..........prob. not what you would call a "proper" condition though.