PDA

View Full Version : Trimming and Pruning Plants

superbsite
02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi All

Please help with a couple of questions on pruning and maintenance.

What do I do with

1. Leaves that have holes. Some of my Java Ferns have.
2. Plants like Sagitarria having withered leaves. They have dark spots or dark lines.
3. Leaves that are Half Yellow. Do I clip and discard ?
4. Full Yellow Leaves (Ive clipped and discarded)
5. Broken leaves line half but still there.

Can I clip and prune halfway or remove the whole leaf joined to the stem/root ?

Thanks

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I cut off anything that isn't green and healthy. Dying leaves do not come back to life so may as well get rid of them and give more strength to the main plant. I also have a problem with holes in my ferns. Generally it will turn black but new planlets will began off the black leaf. Are you using any ferts?

KatzeSlaugen
02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
yea my java fern grows little plants on its leaf then the leaf turns brown and dies. all dead/dying leaves come out of my tank as well. for the actual trimming i use a pair of stylist scissors for hair cutting.

CassieLEO
02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I use my fingernails and pinch off dead leaves. Im not too picky with them, they grow like crazy anyways (the ones I have)...

superbsite
02-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Is it ok to cut a leaf into half ie keep the good part and cut off the bad one. Like if a leaf is bad at the top can I prune it by cutting that part and keeping the rest of the leaf or will it die eventually because I've cut it.

LadyHobbs - Thanks for your advice on the filter wool. I'm not using any ferts. I have 100% Flourite. I only added Liquid CO2 from Azoo called Carbon Plus according to specifications.

Yesterday I was due for a water change. So I pruned. Redid a little. Replanted the ones bobbing up. (Ha! and I thought one learns to curse only while driving :) ) Added some rocks from the Ganga waters my bro got me from his hiking trip and I added some 11 in 1 Super Bio-Bacteria from Azoo. Today morning I was jumping for joy because this is what it looks now.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9453/dsc02627u.jpg

Was tempted to add Cardinal Tetras. Thanks goodness they were not available yet even though small Neon Tetras were. So I'll wait.

Cheers

Cassandra
02-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Nice looking tank :ssmile:

AmyLynn
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Your tank looks very nice. Don't be afraid to prune. You'll get healthier nicer plants that way. Everyone needs a good haircut every now and then. :hmm3grin2orange:

superbsite
02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks AmyLynn and Cassandra
Cheers